The General Theme And Book Review Of Enriques Journey (Book Report Sample)
Note: This assignment is for a book review, not simply a book report.
You will be expected to analyze and critique the book in addition to describing the content.
The paper must be at least 1400 words and contain at least 3 but no more than 5 quotations. Please include your Works Cited page at the end of your paper. The title page and Works Cited page do NOT count toward the 1400 word minimum..The rubric is listed below, however, grammar and spelling errors will be deducted from the grade.
The following are the general requirements for the review:
First, you must read the book..
The paper must be at least 1400 words.1. Introduction (10 pts.) First identify the name and author of the book, identify the type of book, and describe the overall theme of the book. The first sentence should grab the reader's attention.Last sentence of the Introduction should explain goal/purpose of the paper.
2. Overview (30 pts.) Summarize the book, explaining the main points.
3. Review of the book (50 pts.) This is the major section of the paper. Be sure to describe how the book affected you. Tell the reader if you liked the book or not. Be specific: Does the book leave out something it should have included? Would you recommend this book to someone else? What did you learn from the book? These are some of the questions you should consider. Remember – this is your opinion – I do not want you to research what anyone else has to say about the book. You may use quotes from the book, but I do not want to read about what anyone else thought of the book. You do not need to go to outside sources to develop your own views. Include an explanation of how the book relates to this course, identifying specific course themes that relate to your reading.
4. Conclusion (10 pts.) Present a summary of your paper and add any final thoughts.
AFTER READING YOUR PAPER, THE READER SHOULD BE ABLE TO: ---Know the author's name and book name. ---be able to identify your thesis sentence at the end of the first paragraph. ---Have a general overview of the story. ---Know your thoughts on the questions listed in the review. ---understand your conclusion as a brief restatement of the thesis as well as concluding and supporting information.
IF YOUR PAPER IS LESS THAN 1400 WORDS, IT WILL EARN A ZERO. IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO PROOFREAD YOUR PAPER NUMEROUS TIMES. IF YOUR PAPER CANNOT BE READ OR UNDERSTOOD, IT WILL EARN A ZERO.
The Book and the Author
In this work, the book titled “ENRIQUE'S JOURNEY” is reviewed. The book is a non-fiction type. The book was authored by Sonia Nazario who grew up in Argentina and Kansas. She was a project's reporter for the Los Angeles Times. Sonia took more than two decades reporting on social issues for the Los Angeles Times; this gave her a lot of experience in writing about social issues. During her time with the Los Angeles Times, Sonia won a Pulitzer Prize for one of her work; this work formed the background of “Enrique's Journey”. Apart from winning the Pulitzer Prize, Sonia has been mentioned as the most influential Latinos by Hispanic Business Magazine and also she is among the 40 women who have transformed the operation of media in the past 40 years according to Columbia Journalism Review. At the time of writing the book, she was leaving in Los Angeles.
The General Theme
Family unity is essential for the mental peace of both children and parents. Immigration and search for better employment opportunities is a threat to family unity. Sonia centers her investigation on how immigration can affect family unity. Lourdes, Enrique's mother, travels to the U.S in search of work. She believes she is making the right decision because what she is doing is to benefit her children. Enrique's mother leaves her two children; the two instantly start feeling the pangs of separation. The children immediately lose the meaning of a family. Enrique particularly asks where his mom has gone. The mother's decision creates a loss to both the children and herself, they both lose the meaning of a family.
Separation can be traumatizing. In the attempt to subdue the trauma, the separated family members can decide to start other families. For example, Enrique's father decides to start a family with another woman. Enrique's father action leaves Enrique as someone who can be traded from one homestead to another. Feeling of loneliness overtakes the boy, and because of this, he starts thinking about impregnating his girlfriend. The mother starts a new life in the U.S but is primarily disturbed because of the absence of Enrique and Belky.
When the families were finally reunited, because of their sentiments of separation the unity becomes difficult. After reunion when Enrique asked Maria Isabel to join him, the mother felt reluctant because of fear of abandonment by the daughter. Therefore in the whole book family, and majorly family unity is the overall theme.
The book covers the events in a young Central American boy's life that was left by the mother. The mother left the boy to seek for work in the U.S. This book gives the details of the boy's journey in the attempt to reunite with the mother who left him at age five years on January 29, 1989.
With the illusion of finding a better life in the U.S, Lourdes, Enrique's mother, leaves Tegucigalpa in Honduras. In Honduras, Lourdes and her family were living in poverty. The fact that Lourdes's husband left her worsened the situation; this threatened the education of her children. She was not sure of where she would get enough money to feed and educate her children. She decides to leave for U.S where she hopes to find enough money and send home, and after one year she would come for her children. According to her promise, she fails to return to Honduras in a year's time.
Lourdes with her smuggler makes a journey through Mexico to the U.S. Her priority is to travel to Miami in the U.S, but the smuggler abandons her at the Greyhound bus terminal in Los Angeles. After three days, Lourdes decides to beg for a job in the nearby factory where she gets a job of sorting ...
- Effective Coaching and Leadership Principles ResearchDescription: Summarize the reading making the reader familiar with the theme and story of the reading. Three important issues relevant to the coaching endeavor/profession ...2 pages/≈550 words | 1 Source | MLA | Literature & Language | Book Report |
- Favourite Book: The Little Prince Written By Saint-ExupéryDescription: he story of “The Little Prince” is about the story of a boy who once lived alone in an asteroid called B-612. While living alone a rose suddenly appeared and became the prince's friend....2 pages/≈550 words | 3 Sources | MLA | Literature & Language | Book Report |
- Book Report: Deaf CultureDescription: Book Report: Deaf Culture...3 pages/≈825 words | 3 Sources | MLA | Literature & Language | Book Report |