Significance Of The Airplane And Air Travel In This Film (Movie Review Sample)
Air Hostess, directed by Yi Wen, 1959
In your journal, please discuss the following two questions based on your interpretation of the film：
1. What's the significance of the airplane and air travel in this film?
2. Does Keping represent a modern woman? According to your interpretation, what are these modern qualities?
Significance of the airplane and air travel in this film
From the film, it is evident that anyone who worked in the airline industry was considered to be of high status. This is probably because there were limited slots only set aside for those who proved that they could deal with challenges without compromising on the quality of the service being offered. More so, this could be attributed to the fact that only few people could afford to buy fancy clothes like those in movie screens. Therefore, the film gave them hope that they could achieve whatever they wanted to do as long as they focused wholeheartedly. For instance, the women in the film are said to have worn tight fitting jackets which was not a common phenomenon in Hong Kong. It is also argued that the owner of the film company was working together with Malaysian Airline and this shows the efforts made to make the film a success on the international market. For example, anyone who watches the film usually feels the urge to travel around the world.
The film portrays how women have more opportunities unlike in the early 1920s. This is clearly portrayed by the main characters which includes Grace Chang, Julie Yeh Feng and Soo Fung. Grace Chang is the aggressive one and is also qualified to work as an air hostess. Although, it is important to note that they all went through the training program in order to work for that airline company. Worth stating, research shows that training usually has a significant effect on an employee’s performance. From the film, it is evident that the program was tailor made to meet the needs of the air hostess. For instance, they were taught how to deal with irate passengers and how to approach them in order to make the company successful in the industry.
A modern woman (Keping) Qualities
While her family wanted her to be married off, Lin Keping wanted to venture into the airline industry. From that, it is clear that her parents wanted her to settle down and have children. A modern woman, on the other hand, is aggressive and is determined to compete in the male dominated industry without fear. Some of the qualities that can be used to describe such women include being intellectual, assertive, independent, energetic and confident. Independent in this case implies that they want to accomplish tasks on their own as opposed to depending on their spouse. Assertive people in general do not allow people to walk over them.
Lin Keping was able to state her case rationally argu...
- Significance Of The Airplane And Air Travel In This Film Description: What's the significance of the airplane and air travel in this film? Does Keping represent a modern woman? According to your interpretation, what are these modern qualities?...2 pages/≈550 words | No Sources | MLA | Creative Writing | Movie Review |
- Movie Review on Sound and Fury Documentary Description: What would you do if you had a child who was deaf? Would you get the implant? Which side of the argument do you most agree with? ...4 pages/≈1100 words | 2 Sources | MLA | Creative Writing | Movie Review |
- The question of race and white privilege in AmericaDescription: The question of race and white privilege in America Creative Writing Movie Review...2 pages/≈550 words | No Sources | MLA | Creative Writing | Movie Review |