Cancer Drug: Opdivo, Also Known As Nivolumab (Essay Sample)
Please choose a currently running cancer drug commercial (online or TV) and write a summary about the drug. Examples are Opdivo, Keytruda, Ibrance, Kisqali, etc (be sure to include the scientific name along with the commercial name). Some important information that you will need to include are:
1. When was the drug approved by the FDA?
2. Which company made it?
3. How does it work and what type of treatment is it (immunotherapy, chemotherapy, etc)?
4. Which type(s) of cancer is it indicated for?
5. What stage cancer can it be used for?
6. What are some of the most significant side effects
7. In your opinion is the commercial hyped for this type of treatment based on what you have learned in class?
This assignment should be around 1 page.
Opdivo, also known as Nivolumab, is a pharmaceutical drug used for treating cancer. The medication acts as a first-line treatment for metastatic or inoperable melanoma and can be used alone or in combination with ipilimumab. Opdivo is combined with ipilimumab or another similar medication only when cancer doesn't have any mutation in BRAF, but if it has a mutation. Then neither Opdivo nor ipilimumab will benefit the patient (Neidle 14).
On December 20, 2017, the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) granted regular approval to Opdivo, and the drug is now developed by Bristol-Myers Squibb Company, acting as an adjuvant treatment of patients having melanoma or metastatic disease. Previously, Nivolumab was approved for treating patients with metastatic melanoma or unresectable, and the medication was not allowed to be used for cancer treatment (Miles 15).
- Cancer Drug: Opdivo, Also Known As NivolumabDescription: Opdivo is combined with ipilimumab or another similar medication only when cancer doesn't have any mutation in BRAF, but if it has a mutation....1 page/≈275 words | 2 Sources | Other | Biological & Biomedical Sciences | Essay |