Disability Questions Based on Music Within (Essay Sample)
As you watch this movie, pay attention to how different disabilities are viewed and how individuals are treated. We will be using this movie as a guide for many of our discussions throughout the semester, (e.g. next week when discuss disability models). Please complete the questions below based on the movie. Your paper will need to be between 250-350 words. Make sure you list the question number when answering in your paper (so we know where you answered each questions specifically). Make sure you provide examples from movie when answering questions. MAKE SURE TO NUMBER YOUR ANSWERS!
1. Give examples of the different types of disabilities shown in this movie.
2. What are some of the reactions towards individuals based on the type of disability they have (how are people with different disabilities treated)?
3. Give an example of where an individual had a positive and negative reaction toward their own disability (how individual felt about disability in positive/negative way).
4. What are some of the barriers in this movie that prohibit individual with disability from participating fully in society? These barriers can be attitudinal, environmental, societal, etc.
5. Provide an example of how a PWD in movie was impacted negatively financially because of their disability? Think of things they may have had to purchase that PWOD wouldn't have to. Think about how their ability to work and/or find a job was impacted?
6. How did policy/laws for PWD impact individuals in movie?
7. What are you thoughts and reactions to this movie.
Disability Questions Based on Music Within (2007)
Steven Sawalich directed the movie Music Within (2007). The examples of disabilities portrayed in the film are deafness and cerebral palsy. Richard Pimental (Ron Livingston) became deaf when a bomb blasted near him while serving as a soldier in Vietnam (Music Within). Art Honeyman (Michael Sheen) was born suffering from cerebral palsy.
After returning to Oregon, Pimental realized that people had negative perceptions about disabled individuals. Many people avoided him and Honeymoon who was always in wheelchair.
At some point, Pimental was convinced that many people hate disabled individuals for no good reasons. The individual had a positive reaction when he realized that he could fight for the rights of disabled people. However, Pimental adverse reaction was caused by the mistreatments he had to bear.
Some of the barriers that prohibi
- Make Reference To Barbara Ehrenreich’s Living With A Wild GodDescription: Drawing on reading of Barbara Ehrenreich’s Living with a wild god, respond to Hitchen’s assertion that Religion has run out of justification. ...5 pages/≈1375 words | 1 Source | MLA | Religion & Theology | Essay |
- Christian Doctrine Paper, The Healthcare SystemDescription: 1.What Biblical topic are you interested in? 2.What question are you trying to answer? 3.What is your starting suggestion/hypothesis (what answer do you expect to find)?...9 pages/≈2475 words | 5 Sources | MLA | Religion & Theology | Essay |
- Gospel of LukeDescription: Religion and Theology Essay: Gospel of Luke...1 page/≈275 words | 1 Source | MLA | Religion & Theology | Essay |