Information Technology (IT) and Information Systems (IS) (Essay Sample)
Explain what is meant by information technology (IT). Explain what is meant by information systems (IS). Why is it important to understand the differences between information technology (IT) and information systems (IS)?
Your response should be at least 200 words in length. You are required to use at least your textbook as source material for your response. All sources used, including the textbook, must be referenced; paraphrased and quoted material must have accompanying citations.
BBA 3551 Unit 1 #6: Information Technology (IT) and Information Systems (IS)
Information Technology (IT) and Information Systems (IS)
Information systems (IS) and information technology (IT) are synonymous terms but in real sense information technology is a division of information systems. The perception that the two terms can be used interchangeably can cause confusion. Even though information systems and information technology both deals with computers, they have distinct characteristics. Organizations need to understand the two different terms to classify information based on its usage in order to understand how to divide organization operations in terms of support and management (Ward, 1995).
IS is defined as the coordinated networks of computer components that operate to produce, distribute and process information (Singh, 2007). They are a set of coordinated network systems that work together in the process of producing, collecting, distributing and processing information. IT comprises of hardware, software, computer network systems, and databases. It deals with processing storage, acquiring and disseminating digital information. It mainly focuses on managing technology and improving utilization of information to advance overall business goals. IT is an umbrella term used to describe technological processes of the IS (Singh, 2007).
IT and IS differ in relation to the nature of how information interaction takes place within the organization. Whereas IT are the hardware and software that supports organization information processes, the actual implementation of IT process forms part of the IS (Ward, 1995). IS differs from IT in that it contains an aspect of communication. Organizations need to know the differences between IT and IS for businesses to know how to plan better and implement high-level informati...
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
- Poetry analysis Essays
- Racial discrimination Essays
- Sociological imagination Essays
- Feminist Essays
- Industrial revolution Essays
- Culture Essays
- Drunk driving Essays
- Cell phone Essays
- Art Essays
- Sociology Essays
- Capital punishment Essays
- Imperialism Essays
- Childhood obesity Essays
- Nursing career Essays
- Physician assisted suicide Essays
- Ethnography Essays
You Might Also Like Other Topics Related to technology:
- Technology in Managerial AccountingDescription: With the change in technology the strategy and structure of the organization change for the improvement of practices in the business...2 pages/≈550 words | 5 Sources | APA | Accounting, Finance, SPSS | Other (Not Listed) |
- Adoption of New Technology SystemsDescription: Even though, technology adoption can improve productivity in the workplace, there is a need for the technology to be well suited for the workplace settings...1 page/≈275 words | 4 Sources | APA | Health, Medicine, Nursing | Essay |
- Technology CycleDescription: It is important to note that teleportation is a new technology that has not been introduced to the market...3 pages/≈825 words | 5 Sources | APA | Technology | Essay |