Military and National Service Obligation Writing Assignment (Essay Sample)
Title: Military and National Service Obligation
Topic: Men and Women Should serve two years of mandatory military and national service obligation.
* Please see attachment for Argument Essay Instructions, Prewrite, Proposal, Annotated Bibliography.
You will be working on creating your Argument Essay. Based on feedback from the prewrite, proposal, and annotated bibliography, you should be well on your way to preparing for the essay. Please take a look at the complete assignment, and start thinking about how you would like to start the essay.
***Argument Essay Instructions (Please see below)***
Over the course of the last few units, you have been working on the same argument regarding your chosen subject. Now, you will write the major assignment for this class: An Argument Essay.
• The essay should focus on one issue related to your chosen career and/or area of study.
Consider the type of career that you are interested in exploring. You should, at this point, have focused on a specific issue that is important to your career. For example, if you are working on getting into Advertising, you might write an argument essay on whether there needs to be more diversity in television advertisements. If you are looking to get into a career in law enforcement, you might write an argument for or against the use of body cameras by police officers while they are working.
What is an Argument?
We have probably all had to argue for a position we held. What makes someone receptive to your argument? Normally, the audience is more willing to listen to your position if you argue for it objectively and avoid unreasonable, argumentative tactics. In this argument essay, you will demonstrate your ability to create a logical and fair argument.
In order for something to be considered an argument, people must have the ability to disagree with you. Your argument also needs to be something you can maintain an objective stance on.
* Create an Argument Essay that argues for your position on an issue facing your career and/or your area of study.
* Consider the following questions when starting your essay:
o What is a specific issue you see occurring in your career field or major
area of study? o What is your ultimate argument regarding the issue? What are your
supporting topics for that argument?
* The essay should be 3 to 4 pages in length.
* You should include an APA-style title page and headers in addition to the 3 to 4 pages for the assignment. Please double space the assignment, write it in 12 point Times New Roman font, and use a 1-inch margin.
* You should include 3 sources in your essay that are reliable and academic. One of those sources should address the counterargument. o Make sure you have at least 3 in-text citations where you have direct quoted, paraphrased or summarized material from the sources. You will need corresponding references for each of these sources that match the in-text citations.
* You need an introduction, body paragraphs, conclusion and references for this essay. Remember the introduction sets up the essay and ends with the thesis statement. The conclusion sums up the essay and restates the thesis in a different way. The introduction and conclusion should not be exact replicas of each other.
* Your body paragraphs should focus on one topic that supports your argument. You will also need to determine where you want to address the counterargument.
* Your writing should be free of punctuation, spelling, and grammar errors and contain appropriate word choice for an academic setting with clear sentence structure.
Military and National Service Obligation
Military and National Service Obligation
Military and national service plays a significant role in allowing the citizens of a particular economy to share in their ways of national “story’ particularly in the dimensions of shared experiences and unified struggle. According to Asali (2019), the present global populace enjoys about two generations from the World War II which is considered as the most recent war that called for and attained the full measure of the support of each citizen as well as the innate dedication and resolve. However, the current generation has not benefited from the deep touch associated with wartime service to their nations. Such a premise could be attributed to the minimal attention and participation of individual citizens. In the U.S, critical threats to national security such as the 9/11 event awakened the idea of including civilian national service as an essential part of the schooling curriculum. The current study argues that both men and women should serve two years of mandatory military and national service obligation as it may contribute to the nation-building process through ample reestablishment of the connections between the obligations and rights of citizenship, restoration of a sound relationship between the military and the civil society, and forging a novel sense of national community.
Opponents of mandatory military and service training as an obligation look into the inefficacy of this dimension as a significant violation of the key principles of individual liberty. On the other hand, Blackburn (2016) reveals that the hallmark of any nation lies in the ability of its government to support and promote the issue of national service only as a voluntary operation as opposed to a mandatory activity. Conversely, there are tendencies that mandatory national service could lead to the creation of enormous and costly bureaucracies whose operations will be worse compared to the works done by private citizens to meet the needs of the nation.
Mandatory military and national service will play an essential role in forging a new sense of national identity and comity by unifying youths from different walks of life. Maoz et al. (2016) explain that veterans of any military experience tend to create and share a common experience. The intensity of such experiences leads to the establishment of strong and enduring ties. For instance, the ties that bind American veterans who returned home after World War II are still considered as legendary. According to Obadare (2016), about 70% of the American men and women who engaged in World War II were aged between 18 and 35. However, the common experience gained by these men and women established lifetime relationships in the American society. As a consequence, mandatory military and national service obligations will be of critical essence in fostering ample creation of loyalty as it fosters a sense of unity among citizens drawn from varied backgrounds. However, such milestones can only be attained through ample incorporation of the military and national service obligation in school curricular as a way of reaching a greater segment of the population with the ability of unifying a large proportion of the citizenry.
Mandatory military and national service obligation among men and women will be crucial in the process of rebuilding ample connections between the rights and responsibilities of the citizens of a particular economy. Blackburn (2016) reveals that developed
- Evaluating Sociology and Psychology Social AssignmentDescription: This essay will try to examine behaviorism theory of human behavior. The essay will also try to argue if the theory is being applied in the contemporary world today as well as its relevance in human resource management....2 pages/≈550 words | 2 Sources | APA | Social Sciences | Essay |
- Should goverment in Canada keep good foreign relationship with iran?Description: Social Sciences: Should goverment in Canada keep good foreign relationship with iran?...9 pages/≈2475 words | 10 Sources | APA | Social Sciences | Essay |
- M4D1: Integration of Fields in Scientific ResearchDescription: Identify and explain the discovery you are going to be examining Clearly indicate the two fields of the sciences that have enabled the researchers ...2 pages/≈550 words | 2 Sources | APA | Social Sciences | Essay |