Wk 5 - Sonnet Themes - Love vs Lust. Literature & Language Essay (Essay Sample)
Please find the detailed instructions in the attached document. Please note that this is an academic essay and for an academic audience. Please do not end any sentences with a preposition and please do not start any sentence with the word "It".
Let me know if you have any questions or concerns! thanks so much for your help.
Wk 5 - Sonnet Themes
Choose one of the following themes explored in Shakespeare’s sonnets:
• Love versus lust
Write a 1,050- to 1,400-word paper in which you analyze how this theme is treated in at least two of the sonnets. Select two sonnets that treat the theme differently.
Summarize how the theme is presented in each sonnet and compare the similarities and differences between the two.
Explain how the treatment of the theme helps shape each sonnet.
Support your views with evidence from the text.
Format your paper consistent with APA formatting.
Here are the two sonnets I’ve chosen:
Shall I compare thee to a summer’s day?
Thou art more lovely and more temperate.
Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May,
And summer’s lease hath all too short a date. 4
Sometime too hot the eye of heaven shines, 5
And often is his gold complexion dimmed;
And every fair from fair sometimes declines, 7
By chance or nature’s changing course untrimmed. 8
But thy eternal summer shall not fade
Nor lose possession of that fair thou ow’st; 10
Nor shall Death brag thou wand’r’st in his shade,
When in eternal lines to time thou grow’st. 12
So long as men can breathe or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee. 14
My mistress’ eyes are nothing like the sun; 1
Coral is far more red than her lips’ red;
If snow be white, why then her breasts are dun; 3
If hairs be wires, black wires grow on her head.
I have seen roses damasked, red and white, 5
But no such roses see I in her cheeks;
And in some perfumes is there more delight
Than in the breath that from my mistress reeks. 8
I love to hear her speak, yet well I know
That music hath a far more pleasing sound.
I grant I never saw a goddess go; 11
My mistress, when she walks, treads on the ground.
And yet, by heaven, I think my love as rare 13
As any she belied with false compare. 14
WK 5 - Sonnet Themes - Love Vs Lust
Shakespeare’s sonnets were non-dramatic poems that were written and included in his plays. Still, they are known as a series of over a hundred and fifty poems that give a story about youthful aristocratic, as well as a mystical mistress. Besides, it is essential to comprehend that these sonnets are based on various themes such as love, politics, sexuality, and gender, among others. However, the subject of love and lust has appeared in most of Shakespeare’s sonnets; this is evident in how the author has expressed various issues such as admiration of beauty, which has been perceived differently. Further, it is essential to comprehend that there is beauty that Shakespeare considered good for the spirit, and there is also a beauty that is seen as evil and corrupt. This literature examines and analyzes the theme of love and lust in Sonnets 18 and 130.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
- Animal cruelty Essays
- Kill a mockingbird Essays
- Homeless Essays
- Salem witch trials Essays
- Medicinal marijuana Essays
- The yellow wallpaper Essays
- Fear Essays
- Freedom of speech Essays
- Women rights Essays
- Modest proposal Essays
- Domestic violence Essays
- The story of an hour Essays
- Hamlet Essays
- Social networking Essays
- A good man is hard to find Essays
- Illegal immigration Essays
You Might Also Like Other Topics Related to love:
- Vulgar Versus Platonic Love in Apuleius’ the Golden AssDescription: Love is believed as the foundation of everything else in the world. Despite being an intangible yet concretely defined feeling, it generated vulnerability even in the most influential humans. ...2 pages/≈550 words | APA | History | Essay |
- Compare and Contrast Essay on follovership and servant leadershipDescription: Followership refers to intentional actions taken by the subordinate officers or subjects (followers) to achieve the leader’s set objectives (Hurwitz & Hurwitz 2015). ...2 pages/≈550 words | APA | Education | Other (Not Listed) |
- Film Analysis "In the Mood for Love ". Visual & Performing ArtsDescription: The film, In the Mood for Love, by Wong Kar Wai released in 2000 highlights the director’s characteristic unorthodox techniques in film production. The movie or film stars Tony Leung Chiu Wai and Maggie Cheung as the main characters playing Chow Mo-Wan and Su Li-Zhen respectively. ...12 pages/≈3300 words | APA | Visual & Performing Arts | Research Paper |