For each précis you will be asked to summarize clearly and concisely. (Essay Sample)
For each précis you will be asked to summarize clearly and concisely, and in your own words (no quotations!), the assigned reading for that class period. The goal of the précis is to explain the reading so well that even a family member or friend could understand the gist without their having read the text themselves. The précis should be sure to include:
• Mention of the author and text summarized in the précis.
• An explicit statement of the main claim(s) made, along with an explanation of what each claim
means. If a claim involves technical or unclear terminology, the terms should be explained.
• A brief explanation as to why the author is bothering to make this claim or set of claims.
• If the aim of the author is to justify a claim, the argument(s) justifying the claim should be
• If the aim of the author is to explain a claim, that explanation should be summarized.
• The précis should conclude by raising either a question or potential criticism.
In book XIX of Augustine's City of God against Pagans, he explains the end of the two cities. These are heaven and earth. His focus is on explaining the importance of the supreme God. The happiness and peace that people need to belong to those of Christ and the heavenly city. Therefore, if a person has chosen to follow the path of the righteous, then they are guaranteed to have peace happiness.
- 4-3 Journal: Self Analysis: Behavioral Competency: The Leadership DomainDescription: Reviewing the body of competency and knowledge has enabled me to identify my key areas of strength within the leadership domain. After the review, I realized that the Ethical Practice cluster is my area of strength because I have the necessary knowledge and skills to act in a way that promote...2 pages/≈550 words | APA | Literature & Language | Essay |
- Protagoras’ Statements on Punishment Literature & Language EssayDescription: Protagoras asserts that virtue is not something that is easily provided and teachable. As such, humans punish wrongdoers for deterring crime in society. Protagoras tells Socrates to reflect the reason why people punish those who are unjust. In reality, he claims that when punishing others, no one does...1 page/≈275 words | APA | Literature & Language | Essay |
- Robert Evans Literature & Language Essay Research PaperDescription: Robert Evans is perhaps one of the most legendary personalities in the film industry. Without him, Paramount Pictures that has already produced some of the most iconic films around the world would have trodden a very different path and had not created the same movies that we have enjoyed through the years...1 page/≈275 words | APA | Literature & Language | Essay |