Critical reading response. History Coursework Assignment (Coursework Sample)
William H. Truettner, ed. The West As America: Reinterpreting Images of the Frontier. Washington, DC: Smithsonian, 1991: 27-54.
Please submit a response that engages critically with the readings from this module (see list below). Your critical response should not be a summary. You should instead engage critically with the topics discussed in the readings. Responses should be ca. 1 page, double-spaced. Ask questions, discuss your own perspective, and build connections between the readings.
You will be graded based on the following:
- Creating connections between the readings
- Formulating a clear, overarching argument or primary question
- Moving beyond the content of the readings and proposing your own ideas that relate to these topics
- Citing your sources (please use Chicago Style (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. with footnotes)
Module 1B Readings:
- William H. Truettner, ed. The West As America: Reinterpreting Images of the Frontier. Washington, DC: Smithsonian, 1991: 27-54.
- Jeffrey Sasha Davis, “Representing Place: ‘‘Deserted Isles’’ and the Reproduction of Bikini Atoll,” Annals of the Association of American Geographers, 95(3), 2005, pp. 607–625.
Critical reading response
Geographers have recognized the importance of landscapes a premise that shapes the way people conceptualize places and ideas. The article by Jeffrey Saha Davis "Representing Place: ‘‘Deserted Isles'' and the Reproduction of Bikini Atoll" asserts that ideals that shape places are not only based on interpretation, but the semiotic connection of such representation. He gives an example of the conceptualization of Bikini Atoll, which he describes as a drastic shift of the landscape from a nuclear testing site in the early 1940s to a tourist attraction as an example of the semiotic connection of a place.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
You Might Also Like Other Topics Related to george washington:
- Three Poets. George Gordon Byron. Edgar Allan Poe. William ShakespeareDescription: Literature has for a long time been appreciated by poets who have influenced some people by their work. There are three poems which relate to each other by having many similarities in different contexts....2 pages/≈550 words | 3 Sources | MLA | Literature & Language | Essay |
- Movie reviews: Crossing and American Revolution: The Birth of a NationDescription: The Crossing is an American historical film released in 2000 and directed by Robert Harmon. The film centers on the experiences of George Washington during the crossing of the Delaware River and is an adaptation of the novel...5 pages/≈1375 words | 1 Source | APA | History | Movie Review |
- Museum Paper. National Gallery of Art in Washington DC USADescription: Artworks that relate to various periods have different features and styles. The variations occur in their form, composition, techniques, medium, and subject matter. ...3 pages/≈825 words | No Sources | MLA | History | Essay |