Discussion Questions. Social Sciences. Types of fallacies. Coursework (Coursework Sample)
Please answer each question keeping them labeled so I know which is which. Thank you! You can use sources if you need too. Please be sure to cite them.
1. There are several types of fallacies – equivocation, false authority, ad hominem, appeal to ignorance, and bandwagon. Please provide two (2) different examples of advertising that show any of the above topics. Which of the above fallacies is used in each advertisement? Why do you think the advertisers used that fallacy in the ad? Did the advertisers use the fallacy effectively? If you were an advertiser, what would you have done differently to better use the fallacy?
2. Consider the following argument: There are many arguments for the elimination or modification of current U. S. drug laws, but one of the most persuasive involves what negative effects drug laws are having on society in comparison with the effects of the drugs themselves. In the past ten years, most forms of drug use have dropped significantly, especially among teens. Despite this, non-violent drug offenders accounted for 21.1 percent of the federal prison population. First time drug offenders serve, on average, a sentence three months longer than kidnappers, nine months longer than burglars, and thirty-three months longer than sex abusers. In 1992, the average cost of keeping an inmate in either state or federal prison was about $20,000 per prisoner per year. The United States has the highest incarceration rate in the world, with 455 prisoners per 100,000 population. It is maintaining these prisoners at great expense in an environment where they are unlikely to develop a socially constructive attitude. Perhaps it is time that we reconsider our attitudes toward those who choose to use drugs; failure to do so may cost society even more than it already has.
• Determine whether or not the argument uses any deceptive statistics. Give your opinion on whether or not the argument has persuaded you. Explain why or why not.
• Determine the primary ways in which statistics or authority are used in your current position in developing persuasive arguments, and provide examples of such use.
3. The video clip ‘The Baloney Detection Kit’ in the Webtext this week discusses the many ways in which an effective critical thinker assesses the claims made by others. Explain what you believe is the real difference between ‘science’ and ‘pseudoscience’. Examine the key reasons why so many people might seem to be attracted to more pseudoscience-type claims. Describe at least two (2) such claims that you have heard people make, and analyze the main reasons why such claims do or do not meet rigorous scientific methodology standards. Determine at least two (2) ways in which the material discussed this week has changed your own thinking.
Your Subject and Section
1 One type of misleading advertising in televisions that have aired in the past few years was a short video that was aired against Obama. While the film was aimed to encourage voters to support the Republican candidates, a closer analysis would show it was a type of a “Weak Analogy.” This was because while Obama was point out about Americans are being lazy the creators are using this to prove that Obama is anti-Americans (Cillizza, 2014).
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
- Animal right Essays
- Slavery Essays
- Teenage pregnancy Essays
- American dream Essays
- Immigration Essays
- Racism Essays
- Global warming Essays
- Religion Essays
- Gay marriage Essays
- Police brutality Essays
- Love Essays
- Animal testing Essays
- Obesity in america Essays
- World war 1 Essays
- Martin luther king Essays
- Minimum wage Essays
You Might Also Like Other Topics Related to scientific essays:
- The Efficacy of Business Process. IT & Computer Science Description: Reengineering focuses on efficient processes that emphasize customer satisfaction, while eliminating the old inefficient processes that are mostly obsolete. When there is a radical redesign and a reconceptualization of an organization, the production system and work dynamics this is process reengineering. ...1 page/≈275 words | 2 Sources | APA | IT & Computer Science | Other (Not Listed) |
- 1-3 comment, and 2-1,2-2 & 2-3 my statement. Social Sciences EssayDescription: According to Scott, the LPC programs are up to the standards and rules and regulations laid by the state of Arizona. Such a program should consist of a minimum of 240 hours of direct client contact and needs to meet the practicum requirements....1 page/≈275 words | 4 Sources | APA | Social Sciences | Essay |
- Six posts for 1-1 & 1-2 new. Social Sciences EssayDescription: According to Laura Elebario, the NAADAC Code of Ethics presents some of the challenges that need immediate attention. For instance, when a patient wants to get recovered from a disease as part of a court sentencing,the chance is that his private details, medical history, and other information will be shared...1 page/≈275 words | 6 Sources | APA | Social Sciences | Essay |