Reading Report of Organ Detective (Book Report Sample)
Required course readings serve several functions. The articles and course text offer case studies that allow students to build a meaningful understanding of Medical Anthropology. We may not agree with all the contents of the readings, but they will serve as a basis of class discussion to build our conceptual understandings and practical applications about the field of Medical Anthropology. Also, the readings allow us to gain a culturally relativistic perspective!! Thus, thee goal of a Reading Report is to summarize ONE article that you have read and to expand upon what you have learned.
**Article "Organ Detective" linkage**:
Keep in mind that the main purposes of the reading reports assignment are to:
* Develop our awareness about the issues involved in the human health experience, related to the class topic - Impacts of Western Medicine
* Develop our insights to help explain the influence that shape the human health experience
The Reading Reports should include:
I. A summary the assigned reading, which includes:
A statement about the main issue(s) addressed in the article.
A brief statement about each of the main points covered in the reading (key concepts, findings, etc.).
A brief review of the conclusions.
II. Context of readings: Explain why/ how you think this article relates to the weekly class topic - Impacts of Western Medicine.
III. Applied Case Study: Find another article (online) that relates to the culture or to the system of care addressed in your summary. Quickly address how the course reading and your chosen article relate to one another. Address if the article you have chosen supports or refutes the claims made in the original article.
An excellent report should demonstrate that you read and understood the course materials and that you can apply new insights to course issues.
Health and Medicine
Health and Medicine
The article entails enduring ideas on organ detective and how an anthropologist Nancy Scheper- Hughes spent her life uncovering a secret in the world-wide market in human flesh. The author presents facts on how individuals especially foreigners tend to snatch up and kills poor children with no care for their transplantable organs. The author of the article her becomes skeptical due to the high mortality rate of children. The officials keeping the death records and coffin makers present the information after an interview on the mortality rate of poor children. The wealthy individuals in the society viewed the bodies of the poor as a reservoir of spare parts. Sometimes the rich could team up and murder local children for harvesting their body parts (Good, 2010).
One of the main body parts under high demand was the kidney. There was a lot of shipping of kidneys from one country to another inside living bodies of sentient individuals. The kidney trade was prevalent such that some communities were willing to donate them for a small honorarium. Different individuals conduct the organ trade in an international black market. In her writing, Hughes interviews...
- Reading Report of Organ DetectiveDescription: The article entails enduring ideas on organ detective and how an anthropologist Nancy Scheper- Hughes spent her life uncovering a secret in the world-wide market in human flesh...2 pages/≈550 words | 3 Sources | APA | Health, Medicine, Nursing | Book Report |
- Human African Trypanosomiasis Prevention StrategiesDescription: The development of any disease on any patients goes through a natural history that can be split into a series of stages for convenience of analysis...3 pages/≈825 words | 4 Sources | APA | Health, Medicine, Nursing | Book Report |
- Evaluating Hat Program in DRC (Congo) Nursing Book ReportDescription: “The effectiveness of active population screening and treatment for sleeping sickness control in the Democratic Republic of Congo...4 pages/≈1100 words | 4 Sources | APA | Health, Medicine, Nursing | Book Report |