Psychopathology & Diagnosis: Categorical Thinking (Research Paper Sample)
The purpose of this assignment is to demonstrate that you comprehend how the diagnostic process gets to categories as it has been presented in class
1. Discuss how issues of diversity might impact categorical thinking?
2. Discuss your perception of the impact of the categorical approach used in DSM-5 versus the more linear approach in earlier versions.
Psychopathology and Diagnosis
Your Institution of Affiliation
April 1, 2018
1 Discuss how issues of diversity might impact categorical thinking?
Categorical thinking in psychopathological assessments refers to the classification of mental illnesses based on an established checklist that determines whether an individual possesses or does not possess a specific trait. While a significant number of assessments are made based on a categorical scheme, certain revisions on the standardized manual prompt to use a more holistic approach. For example, the DSM-5 was born using the categorical approach. Nonetheless, scholars push for the inclusion of another axis (axis VI), that is generally aimed to assess the psychosocial and environmental factors that contribute to the complexity of the diagnosis (Garcia & Petrovich, 2011). Particularly speaking, realizing the complexity of the human mind and in the pursuit of scientific accuracy, some revisions of the DSM-5 added certain assessment resources such as the Global Assessment of Relational Functioning (GARF) and Social and Occupational Functioning Assessment Scale (SOFAS) (Garcia & Petrovich, 2011).
The addition of these assessment resources that providing more encompassing guidelines which allowed for “a diagnosis that is both interpersonal, intrapersonal, and environmental” (Garcia & Petrovich, 2011). In retrospect of the effects of diversity (and human complexity in general) in terms of Categorical thin
You Might Also Like Other Topics Related to standardized testing:
- Improvements In The Manufacturing Industry Vs Healthcare IndustryDescription: The healthcare industry has adopted innovations from the manufacturing industry based on the assumptions that it will also result in better performance....4 pages/≈1100 words | 3 Sources | APA | Health, Medicine, Nursing | Research Paper |
- Passing Standardized Testing In Order To Graduate In TexasDescription: This paper seeks to argue out the reasons as to why the system was not the most favorable option for those directly affected since it required that one had to pass these tests to be eligible to graduate....4 pages/≈1100 words | 3 Sources | APA | Literature & Language | Research Paper |
- DSM-5 Assessment Measures: Screening & Assessment MaterialsDescription: Screening helps to identify the mental health or substance abuse needs and the screening tools are standardized and quick to administer, and screening is useful to evaluate the need for further evaluation....2 pages/≈550 words | 6 Sources | APA | Social Sciences | Essay |