Psychopathology & Diagnosis: Categorical Thinking (Research Paper Sample)
The purpose of this assignment is to demonstrate that you comprehend how the diagnostic process gets to categories as it has been presented in class
1. Discuss how issues of diversity might impact categorical thinking?
2. Discuss your perception of the impact of the categorical approach used in DSM-5 versus the more linear approach in earlier versions.
Psychopathology and Diagnosis
Your Institution of Affiliation
April 1, 2018
1 Discuss how issues of diversity might impact categorical thinking?
Categorical thinking in psychopathological assessments refers to the classification of mental illnesses based on an established checklist that determines whether an individual possesses or does not possess a specific trait. While a significant number of assessments are made based on a categorical scheme, certain revisions on the standardized manual prompt to use a more holistic approach. For example, the DSM-5 was born using the categorical approach. Nonetheless, scholars push for the inclusion of another axis (axis VI), that is generally aimed to assess the psychosocial and environmental factors that contribute to the complexity of the diagnosis (Garcia & Petrovich, 2011). Particularly speaking, realizing the complexity of the human mind and in the pursuit of scientific accuracy, some revisions of the DSM-5 added certain assessment resources such as the Global Assessment of Relational Functioning (GARF) and Social and Occupational Functioning Assessment Scale (SOFAS) (Garcia & Petrovich, 2011).
The addition of these assessment resources that providing more encompassing guidelines which allowed for “a diagnosis that is both interpersonal, intrapersonal, and environmental” (Garcia & Petrovich, 2011). In retrospect of the effects of diversity (and human complexity in general) in terms of Categorical thin
- Challenges of a College Education and Strategies Students use to Overcome ThemDescription: What type of support services or resources did you use at the college or outside the college to help you with your challenges?...3 pages/≈825 words | No Sources | APA | Psychology | Research Paper |
- Forster Care Neglect and Mistreatment Research and CasesDescription: Foster care services are provided by generous parents as charitable social services to abandoned children as well as isolated children....5 pages/≈1375 words | 5 Sources | APA | Psychology | Research Paper |
- Psychology: The Colorful Story Of My GrandmotherDescription: As for the background, Vanessa is now living her retired life in Canada. She is now going back and forth here in the United States as part of her routine trip to ensure that her basic services are regularly rendered by the government....8 pages/≈2200 words | 1 Source | APA | Psychology | Research Paper |