Psychopathology & Diagnosis: Categorical Thinking (Research Paper Sample)
The purpose of this assignment is to demonstrate that you comprehend how the diagnostic process gets to categories as it has been presented in class
1. Discuss how issues of diversity might impact categorical thinking?
2. Discuss your perception of the impact of the categorical approach used in DSM-5 versus the more linear approach in earlier versions.
Psychopathology and Diagnosis
Your Institution of Affiliation
April 1, 2018
1 Discuss how issues of diversity might impact categorical thinking?
Categorical thinking in psychopathological assessments refers to the classification of mental illnesses based on an established checklist that determines whether an individual possesses or does not possess a specific trait. While a significant number of assessments are made based on a categorical scheme, certain revisions on the standardized manual prompt to use a more holistic approach. For example, the DSM-5 was born using the categorical approach. Nonetheless, scholars push for the inclusion of another axis (axis VI), that is generally aimed to assess the psychosocial and environmental factors that contribute to the complexity of the diagnosis (Garcia & Petrovich, 2011). Particularly speaking, realizing the complexity of the human mind and in the pursuit of scientific accuracy, some revisions of the DSM-5 added certain assessment resources such as the Global Assessment of Relational Functioning (GARF) and Social and Occupational Functioning Assessment Scale (SOFAS) (Garcia & Petrovich, 2011).
The addition of these assessment resources that providing more encompassing guidelines which allowed for “a diagnosis that is both interpersonal, intrapersonal, and environmental” (Garcia & Petrovich, 2011). In retrospect of the effects of diversity (and human complexity in general) in terms of Categorical thin
- Review of the Southern Poverty Law Centre WebsiteDescription: The article Ten Ways to Fight Hate by Southern Poverty Centre Website acknowledges that the levels of hate crime in the US have tremendously increased...3 pages/≈825 words | 2 Sources | APA | Psychology | Research Paper |
- Training Case Study - Applied Organizational PsychologyDescription: The employees of an organization are the greatest asset. A company that wants to succeed focuses on enhancing the expertise of its staff....4 pages/≈1100 words | 3 Sources | APA | Psychology | Research Paper |
- Resiliency Training And The Positive Effects It Has On Army SoldiersDescription: The military organization in the United States has adopted the master resilience training strategy to assist the security officers ...5 pages/≈1375 words | 5 Sources | APA | Psychology | Research Paper |