Stereotypes Associated With Maleness And Femalenes Psychology Essay (Essay Sample)
VII. For this response paper, I want you to think about the stereotypes associated with maleness and femaleness and answer some of the following questions.
1. To what degree do you feel you identify with characteristics associated with your own gender?
2. To what degree do you feel you identify with characteristics associated with the opposite gender?
3. Have you ever felt as though society or specific people have pressured you to “be” a characteristic that you weren’t, just because you were male or female?
4. You don’t have to answer this, but please at least think about it. Have you ever stereotyped someone based on gender, that they should “be” a certain way?
5. How have gender roles changed over the last 50 years?
6. How have they NOT changed since hunter-gatherer days?
7. Do you think we will always have gender roles?
8. Are gender roles helpful in some way or do they only perpetuate stereotypes?
1. Largely, I do not identify with these characteristics because of their biased nature. As Camps (Np) points out, it is insensitive to assume that females are biologically weak and not meant to take up prominent roles.
2. There is no truth in assuming that the opposite gender (males) is stronger and better than the females. Evidently, females can perform the same way or even better than males (Besselaar and Sandstrom, Np). Therefore, everyone should be judged by his or her skills and abilities, and not their maleness or femaleness.
3. I have previously had to drop some sports and subjects simply because parents and peers felt they were rather masculine. This is done without considering my skills and ability.
4. Personally, I believe in people being allowed to be their best selves without the fear of being judged by society. Based on this, I do not believe in gender stereotyping.
5. Indeed, there has been
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
- Heart of darkness Essays
- Suicide Essays
- Fast food Essays
- Short story Essays
- French revolution Essays
- High school Essays
- Standardized testing Essays
- Marijuana Essays
- Brave new world Essays
- Respect Essays
- Stem cell Essays
- Values Essays
- Gun violence Essays
- Divorce Essays
- Romeo and juliet Essays
- Time management Essays
You Might Also Like Other Topics Related to gender role:
- Do contemporary Jewish and Christian feminism affirm traditional views about God, or do they. . .Description: Traditionally, both Judaism and Christianity have often portrayed women as the weaker or inferior being to their male counterparts. The female gender is relegated to less influential or simplistic roles in the religious activities and aspects of both religions....5 pages/≈1375 words | 2 Sources | MLA | Religion & Theology | Essay |
- Discrimination and Harassment. Social Sciences EssayDescription: The two terms, discrimination and harassment, are usually used together since; they apply nearly in the same situations. Starting with, discrimination refers to an unjust or prejudicial treatment of an individual or a group of individuals, usually based on factors such as sex, gender, and age....1 page/≈275 words | No Sources | APA | Social Sciences | Essay |
- In-class Movie Analysis Assignment. Literature & Language EssayDescription: Before watching this film, like most people, I did not realize that sex and gender are not the same. It was after watching it that I discovered that sex and gender are conceptually distinct. ...3 pages/≈825 words | 4 Sources | APA | Literature & Language | Essay |