Is Climate Change in the Arctic a disaster or an opportunity for Canada’s North? (Essay Sample)
Essay Question: Is Climate Change in the Arctic a disaster or an opportunity for Canada’s North?
Respond to this question in 1200 words
The essay should have: Intro, Body, Conclusion, Bibliography (Not included in the word count)
Use in-text citation (Chicago style).
- Lloyd's of London report, "Arctic opening: Opportunity and Risk in the High North" (pdf below)
- Furgal & Prowse, "Northern Canada; in From Impacts to Adaptation: Canada in a Changing Climate 2007", eds: Lemmen, Warren, Lacroix & Bush
Plus at least two other sources.
CLIMATE CHANGE IN ARCTIC:
DISASTER OR OPPORTUNITY FOR CANADA’S NORTH?
Change is key to understanding political, economic, social, cultural and, more recently, environmental developments. Contextualized, understanding change in given systems helps inform not only management processes but, more important, response and, should needs arise, mitigation measures. Understandably, climate change has come front and center of global discussions in more recent years. Informed by a variety of political, economic, social, cultural and, of course, physical environment opportunities and challenges, climate change is perhaps world’s most pressing issue. The approach to climate change remains, however, largely intermittent, driven primarily by passing expressions of climate change (e.g. natural disasters, rising temperatures, and disappearing species), not by consistent – and concerted – efforts for understanding, let alone proper management. The complexity of climate change is perhaps best captured in Canada’s North.
For half a century, Canada’s North has been experiencing dramatic ecological shifts. Triggered by climate change effects, human and natural habitats are under growing existential threats in Canada’s vast most northern territories. From a conventional perspective, undergoing changes in Canada’s North represent challenges only to all stakeholders, particularly wild and marine life, experiencing such changes.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
You Might Also Like Other Topics Related to climate change:
- Philippines Climate change, water resources, food security, energy resources and population . . .Description: In just about 200 years after the start of industrialization, the earth’s temperature shoot up. Towards the 21st century, human doings put a toll on the earth’s carrying capacity. ...3 pages/≈825 words | APA | Creative Writing | Term Paper |
- Current Political Climate as a Tool to Divide Americans along Racial LinesDescription: In the current political climate, partisanship has continued to divide Americans in terms of their political attitudes and views about the challenges facing the nation and current issues based on race and ethnicity ...2 pages/≈550 words | 3 Sources | APA | Literature & Language | Essay |
- Current Event Annotation: Climate Change. Literature & Language EssayDescription: Two separate analyses by NASA and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) in a news report by Fountain and Popovich about global climate change are insightful and menacing....1 page/≈275 words | MLA | Literature & Language | Essay |