Discuss Industrialization After the Civil War Final Paper (Essay Sample)
After the Civil War, the United States became a much more industrialized society. Between 1865 and 1920, industrialization improved American life in many ways. However, industrialization also created problems for American society. Consider events that took place after the Civil War and discuss ways that industrialization affected the U.S. between 1865 and 1920.
You have already developed a thesis statement and developed an outline in which you identify three main points relevant to your topic. Now you will develop the final paper in which you explore your main points in detail.
Write a three to five (3-5) page paper in which you:
Introduce your paper with your previously crafted thesis statement.
Discuss three (3) major aspects of industrialization between 1865 and 1920. In your response, consider society, the economy, and politics.
Identify three (3) specific groups that were affected by industrialization and provide two examples for each group describing how the group was affected. (Consider issues such as race, ethnicity, gender, child labor, etc.)
Summarize how industrialization affected the life of the average working American during this period. Use specific examples and details.
Use at least three (3) academic references besides or in addition to the textbook. Note: Wikipedia and other Websites do not qualify as academic resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA style or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
Need to follow the outline below
Industrialization of the United States after the Civil War (1865-1920)
Thesis: The industrial revolution in the U.S after the civil war improved the American life, influencing the economy, politics, and the society. The entrepreneurship, technological advancements, and urbanization contributed to the changes that benefitted some groups, while others were oppressed.
I. Aspects of Industrial Revolution
- The rapid economic growth of the U.S can be attributed to the creation of businesses and factories.
- The addition of new inputs led to the economic expansion as opposed to the enhanced productivity (Lamoreaux, 2010).
- The technological developments formed an integral part of the industrialization.
- The industries, agriculture, transport, communication, and transportation were enhanced through technology.
- The development of American cities was an important aspect of the industrialization (Carroll, 2008).
II. Groups affected by the Industrial Revolution.
A. The immigrants
- The immigrants such as the Chinese, blacks, and Hispanic were considered inferior, contributing to their segregation.
- They were not allowed to join unions and earned low wages.
B. Lower- and Middle-Class
- Professional employment increased, expanding the middle-class.
- The unions protected the rights of this group.
C. Native Americans
- The team benefitted from the industrialization, forming the middle- and lower-classes.
- The segregation of the immigrants saw them take up the best jobs.
- The absence of business regulations led to their oppression by the big enterprises such as railroad owners.
- The shift from an agricultural economy to an industrial one also affected farmers.
- After the civil war, women started to work primarily in factories with lower pay in comparison to men.
- The fight of women's rights groups led to them being allowed to vote (Binder & Reimers, 2012).
III. Ways that the Industrial Revolution Influenced American Life
- Adverse working conditions.
- The enhanced communication and transport networks presented opportunities for the average American.
- Living conditions; others were displaced to create space for industries and congestion near factories increased.
- Education of the average American (Hirschman & Mogford, 2009).
- The legal representation such as labor unions created an avenue to improve the life of an average American at work.
- The industrialization resulted in many changes to the American society, economy, and politics.
- Some groups reaped more benefits such as the Native Americans, while others such as the blacks were disadvantaged.
American Civil War
American Civil War
The American Civil War is recognized as one of the most influential events that ever took place in the American history. This relative to the impacts that the war had on the current society. After the war, there were quite a number of developments that took place in the American society that shaped what America is today and the integral aspects of the society at the core. Starting in the year 1861 and lasting through to 1865, the civil war is one of the most revered times in American history by both historians and a great deal of professionals. Some of the influential aspects of the war actually started right after it came to an end. There some positive and negative aspects associated with the war most of which came with the end of the war. Of great significance in this paper are the events that took place between the year 1865 when the war ended all through to 1920.
Thesis statement: The industrial revolution in the U.S after the civil war improved the American life, influencing the economy, politics, and the society. The entrepreneurship, technological advancements, and urbanization contributed to the changes that benefitted some groups, while others were oppressed.
* Aspects of the industrial revolution
* Entrepreneurial revolution
One of the main aspects that came with the industrial revolution after the war was the entrepreneurial elements in the society. With the economic boom that came after the war, there were quite some significance developments with reference to the entrepreneurial ventures that came up. Businesses and factories came across the nation (Lamoreaux, 2010). With the massive inputs with reference to resources that came during this period, quite a number of production factories came up in the nation. Some like the steel works were a continuation of what took place during the war (Lamoreaux, 2010). At the same time, skilled labor from across the nation coming from various parts of the world, pushed the economic agenda further.
Technological developments that came up during the period were very influential in the industrialization processes. The level of innovation at the time, drove the manufacturing and processing industries. This enhanced the level of efficiency. At the same time most of the supportive elements in the industry also benefited from the technological developments. Of the main industries that also benefited from the technological advances are agriculture, transport and communication.
From the industries that were now developing across the nation, the standards of living also improved relatively. There were cities and residential areas developing across the nation (Carroll, 2008). With the thriving economy, people were employed in the various skilled and semiskilled positions. This means that they now had dispensable income and could afford to rent and buy goods and services. As such, an urban life sprouted as part of the support ecosystem for the booming economy from developed industries (Carroll, 2008).
* Groups that...
- Causes of Illegal Immigration in the United StatesDescription: Illegal immigration means illegal entry of an individual in another nation's border without the government permission. Foreign national immigrants include people who continue staying in a certain country even after their visa has expired....5 pages/≈1375 words | 10 Sources | MLA | Social Sciences | Research Paper |
- Review of From the Old Diplomacy to the NewDescription: Robert L. Beisner in his book, From the Old Diplomacy to the New, 1865-1900, takes the reader through the journey of American diplomacy stretching from the time the French left Mexico to Peking march....3 pages/≈825 words | 2 Sources | APA | History | Book Review |
- Write a Summary of Black Friday on September 24 1869Description: Black Friday in the U.S history occurred on September 24, 1869. This was the result of Jay Gould who was a financier...1 page/≈275 words | No Sources | APA | History | Case Study |