Pain (Essay Sample)
The neurological system affects all parts and functions of the body through nerve stimulation. Nerves also control the sensation and perception of pain. While pain can be described in a variety of ways, it is essentially labeled according to its duration and source. As a nurse evaluating a patient, you need to consider the following questions: Does the pain quickly come and go, or is it persistent and ongoing? Does the pain arise at the source of injury or in another location? In this Discussion, you compare three common types of pain—acute, chronic, and referred.
• Review this week’s media presentation on the neurological system, as well as Chapter 13 in the Huether and McCance text.
• Identify the pathophysiology of acute, chronic, and referred pain. Consider the similarities and differences between these three types of pain.
• Select two of the following patient factors: genetics, gender, ethnicity, age, or behavior. Reflect on how the factors you selected might impact the pathophysiology, diagnosis, and prescription of treatment for acute, chronic, and referred pain.
Post on or before Day 3 a description of the pathophysiology of acute, chronic, and referred pain, including similarities and differences between them. Then, explain how the factors you selected might impact the pathophysiology, diagnosis, and prescription of treatment for acute, chronic, and referred pain.
Huether, S. E., & McCance, K. L. (2012). Understanding pathophysiology (Laureate custom ed.). St. Louis, MO: Mosby.
McPhee, S. J., & Hammer, G. D. (2012). Pathophysiology of disease: An introduction to clinical medicine (Laureate Education, Inc., custom ed.). New York, NY: McGraw-Hill Medical.
Please use a peer reviewed current journal article, or a textbook ( published in last 5 years).
Everyone experiences some level of pain on various occasions in his or her lifetime. Pain can be described as an uncomfortable feeling or unpleasant sensation in the body, which indicates that something is wrong, prompting an individual to seek medication. Feelings of pain can range from mild, constant, and severe. Since pain is an individual experience, factors such as individual behaviour and ethnicity affect how people express and cope with pain. This essay analyzes the similarities and differences of the three types of pain namely: acute, chronic, and referred, highlighting how behaviour and ethnicity determine how individuals cope with the pain. Nurses also play a major role in helping managing pain.
Acute pain occurs when patients experience sudden and severe pain that serves as a warning of a disease or threat to the body (Huether & McCance, 2012). The pain is associated with traumatic events such as labor during childbirth, acute illness, or surgery. Acute pain is severe and sudden, and it is considered as a physiological response that warns someone of danger. Acute pain can last for less than two to three months (Eyler, 2013).
Chronic pain is referred to as pain that persist even after the healing process is over. The pain lasts longer and can be life-threatening if not managed well. Most patients with termi...
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
- Vietnam war Essays
- Ethics Essays
- Globalization Essays
- Kite runner Essays
- Drugs Essays
- Artificial intelligence Essays
- George washington Essays
- The crucible Essays
- Body image Essays
- Terrorism Essays
- Autism Essays
- Edgar allan poe Essays
- Mahatma gandhi Essays
- Progressive era Essays
- Overpopulation Essays
- Professionalism Essays
- Patient with Musculoskeletal Limitations Complicated by Medical IllnessDescription: The common complications that result after a surgery include the postoperative sepsis, surgical infection site infection, thromboembolic complications...3 pages/≈825 words | 6 Sources | APA | Health, Medicine, Nursing | Essay |
- Grand Nursing TheoryDescription: Dorothea Elizabeth Orem was born in the year 1914 in Baltimore, Maryland and died in the year 2007...2 pages/≈550 words | 3 Sources | APA | Health, Medicine, Nursing | Essay |
- Assessment Strategies PaperDescription: Assessment entails anything that a tutor does to collate information for making decisions with regard to the learners’ learning the tutor’s teaching...7 pages/≈1925 words | 5 Sources | APA | Health, Medicine, Nursing | Essay |