What Health Disparity is the Article Highlighting? (Essay Sample)
Directions: For this assignment, you will select and critique one article from a popular media source (e.g., newspaper, magazine, news journal, etc.) that provides information regarding a health disparity within a population group and complete the questions below. Please make sure to use complete sentences when answering each question. Make sure the health disparity is different from your research assignment. In addition, the article must have been published within the last 2 years.
1) Provide the article reference and link. (1point)
2) What health disparity is the article highlighting? (1point)
3) Why is this information newsworthy? How would it benefit the public health community? (3 points)
4) What causes and factors contributed to the health disparity? (2 points)
5) How does the health disparity affect health outcomes? (3 points)
6) Does the article make any recommendations or suggest resources that could benefit the public? If not, what suggestions or recommendations would you suggest? (2 points)
7) Was the article well-written? Justify your rationale? (3 points)
8) Did it include all pertinent information? Justify your rationale? (2 points)
9) Was there information or a perspective that the article should have included? If so, what? What else would you have like to have seen? (3 points)
Score calculation: Total earned / 20 x 10 =source..
Provide the article reference and link.
Brown, E. (2014). Study: Poor people with diabetes 10 times more likely to lose limb. Latimes.com. Retrieved 4 May 2015, from HYPERLINK "/local/lanow/la-me-ln-diabetes-amputations-20140804-story.html" /local/lanow/la-me-ln-diabetes-amputations-20140804-story.html
What health disparity is the article highlighting?
This article highlights on the abnormally high rates of amputations among the poor residents of Los Angeles who suffer from diabetes compared to their wealthier counterparts. Even though, the amputations are preventable, the inaccessibility of health care services and information means that poor neighborhoods suffer disproportionately from diabetes complications.
Why is this information newsworthy? How would it benefit the public health community?
Even though, foot complications are typically the main reason as to why amputations are carried out among diabetics, interventions can reduce the rates. Focusing on foot examinations for diabetic patients who come from poorer areas has the potential to reduce the rates amputations. Nonetheless, since the problem of inadequate healthcare provision is a risk factor towards increasing foot complications, health practitioners are left in a dilemma on how to improve health care service provision even to those who have no health insurance coverage. Even when foot examinations might not be effective, medical examinations highlight on the likelihood that high-risk conditions would occur.
What causes and factors contributed to the health disparity? (2 points)
Brown (2014), highlights on inaccessibility of primary health care and challenges in understanding how to manage diabetes as the main causes for the health disparity. Since the condition is preventable when there is control of lipid levels, blood sugar and other health complications, the patients may be better placed ...
You Might Also Like Other Topics Related to art essays:
- Shaping Ethical Contexts - Part IDescription: Identify forms of faulty evidence and reasoning (as well as dismissive communication) in a public argument about an ethical issue...1 page/≈275 words | 3 Sources | APA | Creative Writing | Essay |
- Annotated Bibliography Nursing Scholarly ArticlesDescription: This article gives a clear description of the role of nurse leaders in implementation of change in a hospital set up...3 pages/≈825 words | 5 Sources | APA | Health, Medicine, Nursing | Essay |
- Week Six Research Paper - Part IDescription: The subject of ethical decision-making is attracting a lot of attention from scholars and practitioners from different industries...5 pages/≈1375 words | 3 Sources | APA | Creative Writing | Research Paper |