Discussion: Cardiovascular Disorders. Health, Medicine, Nursing Essay (Essay Sample)
Discussion: Cardiovascular Disorders
Veins and arteries are vital elements of the cardiovascular system. They carry the blood supply through the body and are essential for proper function. Sometimes veins and arteries malfunction, resulting in cardiovascular disorders. Malfunctions of arteries and veins are similar to malfunctions of a water hose. Consider the structure and function of a hose. A tap releases water, which then travels through the hose and comes out the other end. If the hose has been dormant for several months, dirt and rusty particles might build up inside, resulting in a restricted flow of water. Similarly, buildup of plaque inside the coronary arteries restricts blood flow and leads to disorders such as coronary heart disease. This disease is one of the most common cardiovascular disorders, and according to the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute (2011), is the leading cause of death for men and women in the United States. In this Discussion, you examine the pathophysiology of cardiovascular disorders such as coronary heart disease.
• Review this week’s media presentation on alterations of cardiovascular functions, as well as Chapter 24 in the Huether and McCance text. Identify the pathophysiology of cardiovascular disorders.
• Select one patient factor: genetics, gender, ethnicity, age, or behavior. Consider how the factor you selected might impact the pathophysiology of cardiovascular disorders.
• Select one of the following alterations of cardiovascular disorders: peripheral arterial disease, myocardial infarction, coronary artery disease, congestive heart failure, or dysrhythmia. Think about how hypertension or dyslipidemia can lead to the alteration you selected.
Write an essay on the pathophysiology of cardiovascular disorders, including how the factor you selected might impact the pathophysiology. Then, explain how hypertension or dyslipidemia can lead to the alteration you selected for patients with the factor you identified.
Coronary Artery Disease
Coronary Artery Disease
The coronary artery disease (CAD) is one that is associated with the buildup of cholesterol rich deposits or what is considered as plaque on the lining of the arteries (Ambrose & Singh, 2015). Commonly referred to as atheromatous plaque or atheromas, it causes the thickening of the arterial walls and leads to narrowing of the lumen. This reduces the amount of blood that can pass through the arteries. As a result, the amount of blood that reaches the heart is reduced and so is the amount of oxygen that reaches the heart muscles.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
- Homeless Essays
- Salem witch trials Essays
- Medicinal marijuana Essays
- The yellow wallpaper Essays
- Fear Essays
- Freedom of speech Essays
- Women rights Essays
- Modest proposal Essays
- Domestic violence Essays
- The story of an hour Essays
- Hamlet Essays
- Social networking Essays
- A good man is hard to find Essays
- Illegal immigration Essays
- Civil rights movement Essays
- Poetry analysis Essays
You Might Also Like Other Topics Related to heart of darkness:
- Any story. Afraid of the Darkness. Three minutes speechDescription: Have you ever found yourself alone, in the dark, and with a pounding heart? Well, this is a story of a person who lived in great fear of the darkness and never at one moment felt the urge and need to confront this fear. ...2 pages/≈550 words | No Sources | APA | Literature & Language | Speech Presentation |
- Cardio Respiratory Complexities Case StudyDescription: Based on this information, formulate a conclusion based on your evaluation, and complete the Critical Thinking Essay assignment, as instructed below....3 pages/≈825 words | 2 Sources | APA | Health, Medicine, Nursing | Case Study |
- Cell Biology and Genetics Case Study on Maria’s Heart ProblemDescription: Identify two reasons why Maria will have tissue ischemia. How might this lead to hypoxia? What two early and reversible changes occur to tissue cells when they are hypoxic?...4 pages/≈1100 words | 5 Sources | APA | Health, Medicine, Nursing | Research Paper |