Two Tough Calls. What is employment at will. Management Case Study (Case Study Sample)
Use the textbook, class slides, and the article.
TWO TOUGH CALLS CASE QUESTIONS (30 points) Due Date: Sunday, April 21th before 11 pm You should have already purchased the Two Tough Calls case automatically when you purchased the other Harvard Business Case because they were bundled in a case pack. You can access the case at the link below: https://hbsp(dot)harvard(dot)edu/import/615510 Please submit your response in a word document (not an html file). Also, please only include the question number (not the entire question) for each of your responses. When you include the entire question in your response, it is flagged for plagiarism and gets additional attention. It is important that you read the case carefully, take detailed notes, and come to class prepared to discuss the case Monday, April 22th . Although I am sympathetic to fears concerning public speaking, these fears can hinder your career advancement. Thus, for developmental purposes, it is very important to practice sharing your opinion in a public setting. Part of your course grade comes from class participation during this case discussion (i.e., speaking at least once; worth 2% of your final grade). Every single student is expected to contribute to the class discussion. CASE QUESTIONS: 1. What is employment-at-will? Be sure to refer to your lecture notes when answering this question. (2 points) 2. Describe the performance issues with (a) Phil and (b) Terry. (5 points) 3. As the manager, how would you handle (a) Terry and (b) Phil? In other words, would you fire Terry/Phil or would you do something else? Describe the rationale behind your decision for each employee separately. What are the important aspects of the manager’s decision for each employee? Review any relevant legal, ethical, political, economic, and other considerations. Think carefully about the legal implications of the manager’s decisions (refer to material from Chapter 10 and Chapter 3). (12 points) 4. If you had to fire someone, how would you proceed to do so (i.e., what steps would you follow to fire someone)? (5 points) 5. What is your assessment of this company’s HR practices and approach to terminations? What could be improved? (6 points)
TWO TOUGH CALLS
What is employment at will
Employment at will is defined under US laws as where the two parties (employee and employer) have got into indefinitely time bound contract on employment and the employee can quit anytime or the employer can discharge an employee at any time with or without prior notice.
Describe performance issues of Terry and Phil
* Terry did not have any technical skills and though the manager tried to help him with that, he never caught up.
* Terry was a dead weight to the team. The manager spends more time managing him and since he did not have any analytical skills, he bothered other people how to do his work which seemed to bother them.
* Terry did not have adequate knowledge on the soft goods department and efforts to bring him up to speed through extensive reading were not helping
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
- Soccer Essays
- Video games Essays
- Relationship Essays
- Plagiarism Essays
- Poems Essays
- Identity Essays
- Vaccination Essays
- Death penalty Essays
- Cold war Essays
- Song analysis Essays
- Animal cruelty Essays
- Kill a mockingbird Essays
- Homeless Essays
- Salem witch trials Essays
- Medicinal marijuana Essays
- The yellow wallpaper Essays
- Case - Lisa Benton: The HouseworldDescription: Benton‘s experience at Houseworld makes her believe that she made a mistake not taking a job at Right- Away stores were there were harmonious professional employee and manager relationships, as she does not have good relations with the managers and fellow employees....1 page/≈275 words | No Sources | APA | Management | Case Study |
- Case 3: Cirque Du SoleilDescription: Although I am sympathetic to fears concerning public speaking, these fears can hinder your career advancement. Thus, for developmental purposes, it is very important to practice sharing your opinion in a public setting....3 pages/≈825 words | No Sources | APA | Management | Case Study |
- CASE # 2: Vitality Health. The Problems with Vitality’s Old Performance SystemDescription: Performance management system plays a crucial role in motivating employees, providing direction to the institution’s management, and making sure that the business maintains its competitive position in the market. ...3 pages/≈825 words | No Sources | APA | Management | Case Study |