Aspects of Organization’s Culture (Research Paper Sample)
For the SLP 4 assignment, you will explore some aspects of an organization's culture, at least as you see it. (Select an organization you have worked with, if possible.) Since the concept of organizational culture is open to many interpretations and classifications, this assessment offers a slightly different approach from your background reading on organizational culture.
The People Group, Based on Gallup Research: What Makes a Great Workplace?
McNamara, C. (2000) Organizational Culture. Adapted from the Field guide to Organizational Leadership and Supervision. Free Management Library.
Think about the results from the Gallup Survey for a minute, and how it compares to the Academy, Baseball Team, Fortress, and Club cultures described by McNamara in the Background reading.
Then prepare a 2- to 3-page paper addressing:
- In your opinion, do the Gallup results fit your general expectations or constitute a surprise in some ways? Interpret the results of the Gallup survey in terms of your own experience, either to confirm or to question the results. Compare the Gallup results and your opinions with the McNamara categories.
- The degree to which the Gallup results and the McNamara information tell you similar or dissimilar things about your organization.
- Does the Gallup survey and the McNamara categories help improve your managerial understanding and/or skills? What can you infer from the results about how your organization’s culture fits or doesn't fit with you? What (if anything) can you do to make your interaction with the culture more effective?
- Provide your opinion on whether or not the above two sources in this SLP 4 help you understand the organization and how you cope with it. Do they accurately depict what is needed to analyze a company’s culture?
SLP Assignment Expectations
Your paper will be evaluated using the criteria on the SLP rubric (see the rubric for more detail): Assignment-Driven, Critical Thinking, Business Writing, Effective Use of Information, Citing Sources, and Timeliness.source..
Aspects of Organization’s Culture
Aspects of Organization’s Culture
I believe that knowing what is expected of you at the workplace, the ability and opportunity to fully exploit your potential and skills, and having the resources to help you complete your tasks are some of the elements that would best describe a good company culture, as posited by the Gallup survey. I also agree with the survey that recognition and the feeling of being cared for and needed by an organization play a major role in making an organization a great workplace. This might come in different forms such as being encouraged to do better, being provided with growth opportunities or being consulted during the decision-making process. It is worth noting that most of the 12 dimensions described in the Gallup survey seem to match well with the academy culture described by McNamara (n.d.). This culture seems to support growth and development while allowing employing to explore and utilize their full potential. It also enhances employee retention, which is one of the key indicators of a great workplace according to the Gallup survey.
However, I was surprised to learn that pay and benefits are not part of the 12 dimensions considered in identify a great workplace in the Gallup survey. I have always believed that pay and benefits can be a motivation that keeps employees at the workplace for long. For instance, at Revlon, good pay and benefits have been one of the factors contributing to high employee retention and productivity. This Gallup information, in this case, is quite the opposite of what I experienced while working at Revlon. Most of the
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
- Plagiarism Essays
- Poems Essays
- Identity Essays
- Vaccination Essays
- Death penalty Essays
- Cold war Essays
- Song analysis Essays
- Animal cruelty Essays
- Kill a mockingbird Essays
- Homeless Essays
- Salem witch trials Essays
- Medicinal marijuana Essays
- The yellow wallpaper Essays
- Fear Essays
- Freedom of speech Essays
- Women rights Essays
You Might Also Like Other Topics Related to culture essays:
- Hacking and Open Source Culture Description: Explain the important contributions of grace hopper. this class is about the Internet and hackers and developers. please use MLA format....4 pages/≈1100 words | No Sources | MLA | Technology | Essay |
- Chinese culture and CatholicismDescription: The difference in culture between Catholicism and the Chinese State is entrenched in the doctrines which the vast population of the Catholic Church believes in....1 page/≈275 words | 3 Sources | MLA | Religion & Theology | Research Paper |
- Burke on Politics and Culture Research Assignment Description: Edmund Burke has been a significant and influential figure synonymous with conservatism which is evident and recorded in his numerous literature publications and countless books that contain an important political and cultural thought....7 pages/≈1925 words | No Sources | APA | History | Research Paper |