Using the Data/Information/Knowledge/Wisdom Continuum (Research Paper Sample)
To Prepare for Research Paper:
1) Review the information in Figure 6–2 in Nursing Informatics and the Foundation of Knowledge (PLEASE SEE UPLOAD).
2) Develop a clinical question related to your area of practice that you would like to explore (HAND HYGIENE).
3) Consider what you currently know about this topic. What additional information would you need to answer the question?
4) Using the continuum of data, information, knowledge, and wisdom (DIKW), determine how you would go about researching your question.
-Explore the available databases in the University Library. Identify which of these databases you would use to find the information or data you need.
-Once you have identified useful databases, how would you go about finding the most relevant articles and information?
-Consider how you would extract the relevant information from the articles.
-How would you take the information and organize it in a way that was useful? How could you take the step from simply having useful knowledge to gaining wisdom?
To Complete Research Paper (Requirements):
Write a 3- to 4-page paper (PLEASE SEE AN EXAMPLE OF THE UPLOADED RESEARCH PAPER FOR SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS AND LAYOUT) that addresses the following:
1) Summarize the question you developed (HAND HYGIENE), and then relate how you would work through the four steps of the data, information, knowledge, wisdom continuum. Be specific.
-Identify the databases and search words you would use.
-Relate how you would take the information gleaned and turn it into useable knowledge.
2) Can informatics be used to gain wisdom? Describe how you would progress from simply having useful knowledge to the wisdom to make decisions about the information you have found during your database search.
*Paper must also include a title page, an introduction, a summary, and a reference page (references should preferably be 5 years or less), and each section must contain headings and subheadings to make it more compartmentalized.
Data/Information/Knowledge/Wisdom Continuum – Hand hygiene compliance and hospital-acquired infections
Course number and section
Nurses and other health practitioners are expected to follow the hand hygiene standard protocols. The practitioners are also required to integrate evidence-based techniques when making decisions to reduce infections, provide patient safety and improve patient outcomes. There are various approaches like antiseptic agents, Chlorhexidine, alcohol based solutions/ sanitizers/rubs as well as general hand washing using soap and water solutions. The effectiveness of hand hygiene has focused on whether there are reduced hospital-acquired infections / nosocomial infections. The contaminated hands of the health workers are associated with transmission of healthcare associated infections. The purpose of the paper is to evaluate evidence on the effectiveness of hand hygiene compliance to reduce hospital-acquired infections.
Clinical Question (PICO question
My clinical PICO question is does compliance with hand hygiene protocols among hospital workers help to reduce hospital acquired infections?
(P) (Problem or Patient or Population-Risk of hospital -acquired infections (HAIs)
(I) intervention/indicator)-Hand hygiene compliance
(C) (Comparison) No hand hygiene compliance
(O) (Outcome of interest) Reduced infections
I choose the question since reducing hospital acquired infections is a priority, and while and hygiene compliance is important it is likely that health care workers do not always comply. Reducing infections also reduces the length of time that patients stay in hospital and reduces costs. I would like to know how health workers focus on hand hygiene compliance and health outcomes.
Databases and Search Words
In the Cochrane Library there were 32 results when I used the key words hand hygiene and hospital infection, and the thirty two articles were trials. In a study by King et al (2016) the researchers found out that it is possible to influence hand hygiene compliance through priming interventions and this then influences health outcomes. For Ebscohost there were 2 results when using the hand hygiene compliance and infections key search terms. In Pubmed there were 67 results when using the search terms “hand hygiene compliance and hospital acquired infections” for articles published in the last 5 years. in the case of Proquest database, I narrowed down to the search terms ‘ hand hygiene compliance and infections, the years ‘2012-2017’ and scholarly articles, but those with abstracts were also included and there were 1166 results.
The data-Information-Knowledge-Wisdom (DIKW) is a theoretical model that explains nursing informatics, and was adopted by the American Nursing Association in 2008 , while Matney and others added more detains on the framework in 201l (Topaz, 2013). The four constructs of the framework are placed in a hierarchical order. The various parts of the framework are relevant in generating research information where data elements are evaluated to determine whether they are re
- Research Paper About Cultural Differences In Dating And CourtshipDescription: This paper discusses the cultural differences and variations or dynamics, as it relates to dating and courtship, through a combination of facts based on historical and current trends....8 pages/≈2200 words | 5 Sources | APA | Health, Medicine, Nursing | Research Paper |
- Patient Centered Care: access to care case study assignmentDescription: Access to care case study assignment Health and Medicine Research Paper...5 pages/≈1375 words | 3 Sources | APA | Health, Medicine, Nursing | Research Paper |
- Information Retrieval Part 3Description: In this module, you will summarize and synthesize the key points of the peer reviewed, evidence based articles and develop a reference page in APA format...1 page/≈275 words | 3 Sources | APA | Health, Medicine, Nursing | Research Paper |