A Biographical Paper on Dr. Ishikawa Business Research Paper (Research Paper Sample)
Research Paper (Due Week 2)
Prepare a biographical paper on Dr. Ishikawa. The format of the paper should conform to the Publication Manual for the American Psychological Association (APA), 6th edition, for the title page, text, citations, references, and so forth. A basic APA tutorial template for the paper can be found in Files.
This paper is an individual student assignment and will reflect the work of each student.
The paper involves researching and writing a short biography on Dr. Kaoru Ishikawa. Our text addresses many of the areas in the management and control of quality and provides a great amount of information on a number of different quality concepts.
However, the authors only mention Dr. Ishikawa in passing. Just who is Kaoru Ishikawa? Prepare a 500-word biographical paper on Ishikawa, describing his contributions to quality. You should not limit your research to online materials. Two of his books are excellent sources: (1) What is Total Quality Control: The Japanese Way (1985) and (2) Guide to Quality Control (1976).
You will research Dr. Ishikawa’s life and work to determine the impacts that he has had in the world. You will define the quality leader’s significant contributions to modern quality practices in terms of major impacts in a specific organization. The paper will enable you to understand:
• Ishikawa's key ideas;
• how Ishikawa has influenced quality practices throughout the world;
• how his ideas fit into total quality management; and
• the implications of Ishikawa's ideas for the future of quality.
The paper will require sustained research effort until the paper is submitted. You are encouraged to begin work on the project during Week 1 and be prepared to submit the required project deliverables by the end of Week 2.
Paper length: 500-words including 2 pages of text (double spaced, 12 point, 1 inch margins), a cover page, and a reference page (total of 4 pages).
The student will use at least two sources plus the course textbook for a minimum of three references. All references are to be from academic journals, professional or academic textbooks, authored websites, or standard business publications, such as The Wall Street Journal. Not more that 15% of the content can be taken directly from all sources. This means if Tunitin is used, then the similarity index must be 15% or lower. The final score will be reduced by one point for each percentage point over 15%.
NOTE: Wikipedia and un-authored websites are not acceptable sources. Do not use these types of sources, otherwise you will lose points.
Ishikawa Research Paper Grading Rubric
Component Description Points Possible
Content and Organization All key elements of the assignment are covered in a substantive way.
• Primary work and significant accomplishments
• Sources and references 10
The content is comprehensive, accurate, or persuasive. The paper develops a central theme or idea directed toward the appropriate audience. 10
The paper links theory to relevant examples of current experience and industry practice and uses the vocabulary of the theory correctly. 10
The content addresses key questions.
• What ideas form the core of Ishikawa’s approach?
• What are the implications of his ideas for the future of TQM? 30
The primary work and significant accomplishments provide sufficient background on each topic. 10
The conclusion is logical, flows from the body of the paper, and reviews the major points. 10
Content and Organization Total 80
Readability and Style Sentence and paragraph transitions are present and logical and maintain the flow throughout the paper. 4
The tone is appropriate to the content and assignment. 2
Sentences are complete, clear, and concise. 2
Sentences are well constructed, with consistently strong, varied sentences. 2
Readability and Style Total 10
Mechanics The paper, including the title page, reference page, tables, and appendices, follow APA guidelines for format. 2
Citations of original works within the body of the paper follow APA guidelines. 2
Rules of grammar, usage, and punctuation are followed. 3
Spelling is correct. 3
Mechanics Total 10
Assignment Total (100%) 100
The following are the best practices in preparing this paper.
• Cover page: Include the person you prepared the paper for, who prepared it, and the date.
• Introduction: In APA format, the introduction is understood to be the first content of your work; thus, it does NOT require a title.
• The purpose of an introduction or opening is to do the following.
• Body of your work:
o Include titles to identify different areas that you address.
o State the main ideas, major points in each idea, and supporting information.
o Break down each main idea you will use in the body of your paper.
o Show some type of division, such as separate sections that are labeled, separate groups of paragraphs, or headers.
o Include all graphs, charts and images to support ideas
o Include the information you found during your research and investigation.
• Summary and conclusion:
o Summarizing is similar to paraphrasing, but it presents the gist of the material in fewer words than the original.
o An effective summary identifies the main ideas and major support points from the body of your report. Minor details are left out.
• References: APA-formatted references.
• Apply a three-step process of writing: plan, write, and complete.
• Prepare an outline of your research paper before you go forward.
• Complete a first draft, and then go back to edit, evaluate, and make any changes required.
• Use visual communication if it will help clarify and support your work. Any material that can be removed and not affect the clarity of your work is essentially filler and should be avoided. Filler distracts from the flow of your work and will most likely cause you to lose points.
Suggested topic outline
• Cover Page
• Overview of the paper
• Purpose and importance of the effort
• Personal background and life history (education, family life, living situations, etc.)
• Primary work and significant accomplishments
• Summary of his philosophy
• Summary of what he was focused on accomplishing in terms of quality
• Reviews and highlights of his books, articles, and manuscripts
• Detailed description of his key ideas, concepts, and quality approach
• Description of results he achieved personally from his life work
• Summary of his influence on quality and total quality management (TQM)
• Summarize the key points of your paper.
A Biographical Paper on Dr. Ishikawa
A Biographical Paper on Dr. Ishikawa
Dr. Kaoru Ishikawa is regarded as the initiator of Japanese quality. He is well-known for the development of quality initiatives in Japan, especially the quality circle. Kaoru is famous for the fishbone concept, commonly referred to as the cause-and-effect diagram or Ishikawa, used in industrial process analysis. Throughout his entire career, he focused on efficient issues within a large philosophical framework. His work aimed at producing what he termed as a "thought revolution," which included new ideas regarding quality that could transform the industry. This paper highlights the biography of Dr. Ishikawa, with a special focus on his work and accomplishments, philosophy, and contribution to the management and control of quality.
Ishikawa was born in Tokyo on July 13th, 1915, and is the eldest son of Ichiro Ishikawa. He graduated with an engineering degree in applied chemistry from the University of Tokyo in 1937. After graduating, Kaoru started working in coal liquefaction, where he gained experience in research, design, operations, and construction. He later served as a Naval Tech Officer, supervising 600 workers in factory construction. He termed this experience as invaluable in his quality control career.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
- Tends in my industry Business & Marketing Research PaperDescription: Good morning. You asked me to conduct research on the current (and emerging) trends in our industry. I have completed that work and can report that our e-commerce industry is changing in some important ways, namely customization of offers, celebrity endorsement on social media...1 page/≈275 words | APA | Business & Marketing | Research Paper |
- Professionals that advocate for CKD. Business & MarketingDescription: The kidney's primary function is to filter waste and excess fluids from the blood (Webster et al., 2017). The lifetime kidney disease requires early medical diagnosis to avoid waste buildup; thus, treatment involves lab tests and frequent imaging....1 page/≈275 words | APA | Business & Marketing | Research Paper |
- Heineken Beer report. Opportunities and threat analysis in Heineken CompanyDescription: Beer is among the oldest alcoholic drinks consumed globally (Vashishth & Tripathi 2016). The industry has a stable market demand; therefore, careful analysis of potential threats and opportunities is crucial....2 pages/≈550 words | APA | Business & Marketing | Research Paper |