The different ways Emilia is treated by men in the play Othello (Essay Sample)
PROPOSAL: I plan on writing my literary analysis on Othello. I read Othello back when I was in high school, but never really understood the role Emilia until reading it in this class. I would love to dive into the role Emilia plays throughout the play along with how her character changes. She ends up being very strong and courageous as action rises in the play. She is treated differently in the play but always stands her ground. So for my thesis I would love to dive into the different ways Emilia is treated by men in the play Othello.
We are reading and watching the stage performance of Othello and watching a film of a modern update on MacBeth. For your literary analysis essay write a 2-3 page essay that further explores just one of the plays. Your essay should include a thoughtful analysis of the the play’s themes, symbols, motifs, and a character analysis of two characters.
You must cite the text in your analysis, and also use at least 1 secondary source. One of your secondary sources/articles must be a peer-reviewed article from an academic journal/source.
Look at library database such as JSTOR or Search One for articles.
All papers must be in MLA format and must be saved as a word document.
Emelia is one of the central characters in the play titled "Othello." In light of the themes, symbolism motifs, an analysis of characters, I focus on the different ways men treat Emilia. The position of women as a theme is reflected in Emilia's experiences with men in the play. Despite being loyal to her husband Lago, Emilia is treated like a puppet. More often, she's manipulated by Lago, even though she declares her willingness to support his husband's aspirations as a sign of respect and love (Shakespeare 217). For instance, when Lago intends to manipulate Othello, he uses his wife's close relations with Desdemonas to get a handkerchief from her.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
- Industrial revolution Essays
- Culture Essays
- Drunk driving Essays
- Cell phone Essays
- Art Essays
- Sociology Essays
- Capital punishment Essays
- Imperialism Essays
- Childhood obesity Essays
- Nursing career Essays
- Physician assisted suicide Essays
- Ethnography Essays
- Dance Essays
- Depression Essays
- Conflict Essays
- Scientific Essays
- Object analysis. Literature & Language Assignment.Description: The Annunciation of Mary was painted in the sixteenth century by Paolo Veronese. The painting represents the announcement by the Angel Gabriel to the Virgin Mary that through the Holy Spirit, she would conceive and give birth to Christ. ...4 pages/≈1100 words | MLA | Literature & Language | Essay |
- Dream of the Red Chamber. Significance of Granny Liu in Dreams of the Red ChamberDescription: Granny Liu is a rustic older woman who contrasts a number of things in Dreams of the Red Chamber including, urban and rural life as well as poor and lavish lives....2 pages/≈550 words | MLA | Literature & Language | Essay |
- Why is global cooperation important? Literature & Language EssayDescription: The challenges our world faces are complex enough to call for wider international cooperation. In contrast to a more conventional state of affairs, where geographies define roles countries play, more recent developments have shown clearly international cooperation is not an option. ...2 pages/≈550 words | MLA | Literature & Language | Essay |