Homework Assignment: The Different Ethical Types (Essay Sample)
The outcome should be for you to Identify and describe your ethical decision making preference; Identify and describe the advantages and disadvantages of each preference; and Analyze how your ethical type influences your approach to ethical issues at the individual, institutional, and international level.
Turn to the instructions in the book, The Ethical Type Indicator. Answer the 42 descriptive statements on the answer sheet, transfer your answers to the sheet on page 6 and then plot your scores on page 7. You should then read the sections of the book on interpreting the scores (pages 8-16). Of course, you will want to read the section in which you score the highest but you should also read the entire section about the various types. Think about how you scored and reflect on what this means to you.
- How would the different types meet ethical dilemmas?
- Before scoring your individual scores, which ethical type do you think represents you?
After assessing your own ethical type, please respond to the following questions:
- What did you discover was your ethical type preference? Did this surprise you? Why or why not?
- Does your ethical type, as indicated by the Ethical Type Indicator tool, reflect how you resolved ethical or moral issues in the past? Why or why not?
- What other ethical types have merit for you? Why do they appeal to you?
The different ethical types will have different approaches when dealing with a dilemma. Persons under egoism will concentrate on what suits them best, under utilitarianism the person will take action based on benefits to the highest number of people, in existentialism persons are likely to ignore the consequences of their actions and decisions, in divine command religious beliefs play a vital role, deontology follows written set of rules, under conformism the persons will look to others for their decisions, the eclectic will consider a number of influences (Santa University, 2017).
Before the scoring the ethical type using the test, I would have thought that I belong to the eclectic group (Larimer, 2017). This is relative to the ideas I felt that I tend to have a number of influences affecting my ethical decisions (Markkula Center for Applied Ethics, 2017). This way before coming to a conclusion, I will have looked at my inner self and a number of others aspects.
After scoring in the test, I discovered that I am more of a divine command person. I scored 28 points in the test and a mean of 25. This is to mean that I tend to base my ethical standards mostly based on my religious beliefs. It was slightly surprising as I consider...
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
You Might Also Like Other Topics Related to ethical dilemma:
- Analyzing an Ethical Decision Research Assignment Description: Jane suffers from sustained injuries in various parts of her body after being involved in a motorcycle crash a few months earlier....2 pages/≈550 words | 5 Sources | APA | Health, Medicine, Nursing | Essay |
- Homework 1 Assignment Paper About Ethical StandardsDescription: Your topic needs to focus on an ethical dilemma for the National Security Professional. What question comes to mind when you think of an ethical dilemma? ...2 pages/≈550 words | 3 Sources | APA | Education | Essay |
- Ethical Concerns in Nursing Research Assignment PaperDescription: How you would respond as an advanced practice nurse. Review evidence-based practice guidelines and ethical considerations applicable to scenarios you selected...2 pages/≈550 words | 3 Sources | APA | Health, Medicine, Nursing | Essay |