Religion: Practices And Behaviors (Essay Sample)
Sullivan and McLaren both use the term religion to identify what is going on in movements like the Alt-Right. Should one call the Alt-Right a religion? Why/why not? What distinctions would you make? What approach would you propose for analyzing such a movement? It may be helpful to view the first few minutes of the Vice documentary on Charlottesville
What is transcendence, and why is it important in Lonergan's thinking?
Smith defines religion as a set of practices. Lonergan's account of religion involves a practice (the "transcendental precepts") but also experience/feeling. Do you find one more helpful than the other?
Would you make a distinction between religion and spirituality?
Religion can be broadly defined as a system of designated practices and behaviors, perspectives, morals, sanctified places, or texts that relate humanity to transcendental, supernatural, or spiritual elements. However, this definition may be considered too narrow to the extent of excluding some belief systems that are considered as religions or it may be too vague to the point of suggesting everything is a religion. Classification of alt-right as a religion suffers from these misgivings. However, alt-right is more of a political movement than a religion. The major reason for not classifying the movement as a religion is the lack of most of the features that define a religion. The movement does not provide answers or explanations to questions on various...
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
- Identity Essays
- Vaccination Essays
- Death penalty Essays
- Cold war Essays
- Song analysis Essays
- Animal cruelty Essays
- Kill a mockingbird Essays
- Homeless Essays
- Salem witch trials Essays
- Medicinal marijuana Essays
- The yellow wallpaper Essays
- Fear Essays
- Freedom of speech Essays
- Women rights Essays
- Modest proposal Essays
- Domestic violence Essays
You Might Also Like Other Topics Related to religion:
- Review and Discussion Questions. Religion & Theology Term PaperDescription: Jansenism does not believe in human free will of doing things, and instead, unlike the authentic Catholic spiritualism, it asserts that nature does not require human assent and that God's infusion of grace cannot be denied. Quietism, on the other hand, is a set of Christian beliefs...2 pages/≈550 words | No Sources | APA | Religion & Theology | Term Paper |
- Reflection Project 2nd Quarter Spirituality and Cinema. Religion EssayDescription: The first part that I find particularly moving and meaningful is the one that involves Ayisha and her father. Having been born in a Muslim family, the expectation is that Ayisha will be Muslim and is thus expected to follow the doctrine and values of the Muslim religion....2 pages/≈550 words | 1 Source | MLA | Religion & Theology | Essay |
- Classic Maya Religion. Religion & Theology Essay PaperDescription: The classic Maya religion of Western Honduras, Guatemala, Tabasco Chiapas, Belize, and the Yucatán vicinities of Mexico is a Southeastern variation of Mesoamerican religion. As is the case with various other modern Mesoamerican religions, the Maya religion results from centuries of synergy...4 pages/≈1100 words | 5 Sources | APA | Religion & Theology | Essay |