Case Study Two. The criminal law. Law Assignment. (Essay Sample)
Please read the passage and then follow directions below:
(For this assignment please use the Strayer Writing Standards which will be attached.)
Officer Williams asked the neighborhood's regular trash collector to put the content of the defendant's garbage that was left on the curb in plastic bags and to turn over the bags to him at the end of the day. The trash collector did as the officer asked in order to not mix the garbage once he collected the defendant's garbage. Then, Officer Williams' partner, Officer Martinez, searched through the garbage and found items indicative of narcotics use. Officer Williams and Officer Martinez then recited the information that was obtained from the trash in an affidavit in support of a warrant to search the defendant's home. Officer Martinez and Officer Williams encountered the defendant at the house later that day upon execution of the warrant. The officers found quantities of cocaine and heroin during the search and arrested the defendant on felony narcotics charges.
Write a paper in which you:
Identify the constitutional amendment that would govern Officer Williams' and Officer Martinez' actions.
Analyze the validity and constitutionality of the officers' actions.
Assess if the officers' actions were justified under the doctrines of plain view, abandonment, open fields, or border searches. Support your response by citing specific case law and/or contemporary cases.
Use at least three quality references. Note: Wikipedia and other similar websites do not qualify as academic resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
This course requires use of new Strayer Writing Standards (SWS). The format is different than other Strayer University courses. Please take a moment to review the SWS documentation for details.
Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow SWS or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student's name, the professor's name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
Research and analyze procedures governing the process of arrest through trial.
Critically debate the constitutional safeguards of key amendments with specific attention to the 4th, 5th, 6th, and 14th Amendments.
Describe the difference between searchers, warrantless searches, and stops.
Write clearly and concisely about the criminal procedure using proper writing mechanics.
Case Study Two
Case Study Two
The problems posed by illicit drug trafficking has generated controversy, with differing views on the role of criminal law. The steps taken by the two officers agree with the criminal law. The action was necessary since the defendant had violated both state and federal law. A similar view reflects the 1956 report of the subcommittee that resulted in the Narcotic Control Act of 1956 (Nagy, 2014). The Act increased the penalties for the violation of the federal narcotic laws.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
- Relationship Essays
- Plagiarism Essays
- Poems Essays
- Identity Essays
- Vaccination Essays
- Death penalty Essays
- Cold war Essays
- Song analysis Essays
- Animal cruelty Essays
- Kill a mockingbird Essays
- Homeless Essays
- Salem witch trials Essays
- Medicinal marijuana Essays
- The yellow wallpaper Essays
- Fear Essays
- Freedom of speech Essays
- Opioids Epidemic as a Homeland Security IssueDescription: This paper analyzes the common opioids at the disposal of Americans, their sources, and the consequences on Americans while explaining why opioids are a national security issue....4 pages/≈1100 words | 5 Sources | APA | Law | Essay |
- Surveillance and Privacy Concerns in Counter-terrorismDescription: To fight terrorism, various strategies have been employed by those protecting states and the world at large. Surveillance is one of the main strategies adopted in counter-terrorism warfare....4 pages/≈1100 words | 10 Sources | APA | Law | Essay |
- Ethics in Criminal Justice Administration AnalysisDescription: Explain the role of critical thinking with regard to the relationship of ethics and professional behavior. Include in your paper a proposal for a seminar in ethics training for law enforcement officers....4 pages/≈1100 words | 4 Sources | APA | Law | Essay |