Malware Analysis: Malicious Software (Essay Sample)
Objective: Analyze malware trends and infection points, as well as methods for analyzing malware. This will include describing what is involved in a malware analysis environment, including tools, techniques, emerging developments in malware analysis.
1. Develop and utilize policies, procedures, and technologies for incident analysis.
8. Incorporate analysis and response results into appropriate action plans, reporting information sharing, improvement cycles, and exposure elimination.
9. Incorporate analysis and response results into appropriate action plans, reporting, information sharing, improvement cycles, and exposure elimination.
10. Evaluate inter and intra organizational resources for incident investigation and response.
The use of computers and electronic devices to aid in the commission of crimes has seen explosive year over year growth. There is a high risk/reward potential for criminals in this environment compared to many other types of crimes. One of the tools of choice for criminals is malware, whether for theft of personal information, computing resources, or other forms of mischief.
Most organizations cease their effort once they have removed a malware threat or removed an infection. Our goal is to go much further and perform a full malware analysis of the incident. This means that we need a malware analysis procedures, environment, tools, and knowledge. Outline what is needed in terms of tools, procedures, and knowledge to analyze malware using both dynamic (behavioral) and static (code) analysis techniques – as well as identifying the potential vectors that delivered the payload that may allow for attribution.
The trend in malware is toward memory resident payloads, often with little or no footprint beyond active memory. This can create a complex situation where a minor slip up can ruin any chance at proper analysis. Obtaining malware artifacts from the wild can be an elite skill that very few people possess, particularly when it is memory based.
In the current era of modern forms of technology, malware and malware protection has become one of the significant aspects of computer security. Cybercriminals utilize different strategies to interfere with networks and computers. Arguably, most organizations or individuals use computers to pass information. The devices used by institutions and organizations are vulnerable to different forms of attacks and may result in the exposure of sensitive data. During the last decade, the lack of effective protection has resulted in an increased number of hackers stealing sensitive data. Besides, some cybercriminals set up spam as a way of trying to access the available systems. For that reason, most organizations develop different types of policies and procedures to address the prevailing issue of malware attacks. Malicious software is one of the sophisticated strategies that cybercriminals use to accomplish their set objectives, thus creating the need to conduct an analysis to determine the purpose and characteristic of an attack.
Arguably, technology has influenced people to use computers in executing most of their activities. In fact, some companies use computer systems to replace workers in organizations. Although innovation in computer technology is imperative to the lives of humans, studies suggest that it might marginalize people’s role in life (Bazrafshan, Hashemi, Fard, & Hamzeh, 2013, p. 114). A computer virus can affect the functionality of a computer’s hard drive, thus causing the deletion of the directory information or files. Most cyber attackers take advantage of the availability of the internet to gather data from a system without credit cards or personal information. Accordingly, organizations and individuals should be aware of developers with the wrong intentions to their sensitive information on their computer systems.
Computer malicious software has been in existence even before the emergence of the internet. For example, the Vienna malware developed in 1987 caused different forms of attacks on computers. Ralph Burger was the first person to conduct an investigation on computer viruses and even composed a publication titled “Computer Viruses: A High tech Disease.” Because of his comprehensive research, it was easy for people to gain an in-depth understanding of the viruses. Ralph’s research helped most people to understand the nature of malware and how it works. In fact, Ralph’s publication was significant guidance on creating and using malware.
The invention of the internet in the 1990s caused a tremendous computer security breach. For instance, the new types of viruses, such as Mellissa and Michelangelo signified new dawn of different virus activities. For that reason, the formation of new virus-control technologies, such as botnets and bots began to take shape. The use of malware by cybercriminals caused different forms of security breaches in business and home environments (Bazrafshan et al., 2013, p. 116). In fact, the attackers would expose private details and user credentials on the internet. Because of this breach, the capability of hackers to assess network activities in real time and trace cookies became a major problem for all internet users.
Malware Analysis Tools
Organizations have a wide variety of malware to choose from when enhancing computer security. In fact, enterprises utilize them to assess unknown and potentially malicious software. Besides, the tools are effective strategies to use in gaining valuable insight into actions over computer systems. Therefore, it is a crucial foundation to enhance an understanding of the sample. According to Gandotra, Bansal, & Sofat (2014), Fi...
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
- Racial discrimination Essays
- Sociological imagination Essays
- Feminist Essays
- Industrial revolution Essays
- Culture Essays
- Drunk driving Essays
- Cell phone Essays
- Art Essays
- Sociology Essays
- Capital punishment Essays
- Imperialism Essays
- Childhood obesity Essays
- Nursing career Essays
- Physician assisted suicide Essays
- Ethnography Essays
- Dance Essays
- Security Concerns & DNS ImplementationsDescription: DNS contains the database of public IP addresses and the host names associated. It is described and observed to be one of the greatest accomplishment in the last three decades to have driven the World Wide Web....1 page/≈275 words | No Sources | APA | IT & Computer Science | Essay |
- Week 8 IT & Computer Science Essay Research PaperDescription: With several small footprints, the attack surface is increased and the organization’s vulnerability to attacks increases. The attack surface is the sum of entry points into a system that can be exploited by an attacker (Ruan, 2013). Thus, with several small footprints...1 page/≈275 words | 4 Sources | APA | IT & Computer Science | Essay |
- Security of IP Routing ProtocolsDescription: Data security and cyber-attacks are now more common terms than just hacking as it was a decade ago. There individuals who find it fun and it is more of a hobby to bypass companies, organizations, or personal systems....1 page/≈275 words | No Sources | APA | IT & Computer Science | Essay |