The Categories Of Antimicrobial Agents: Medication (Essay Sample)
1. Describe the categories of antimicrobial agents.
2. Describe differences between viral and bacterial infections.
3. Explain why proper identification of viral and bacterial infections is key to selecting the proper antimicrobial agent
Q.1 The categories of antimicrobial agents
Antimicrobial agents are drugs that function by stopping the growth of microorganisms and eradicating them. There are five categories of antimicrobial medication. One is based on the type of action. Antibacterial agents known as bactericidal obliterate bacteria by focusing on their cell wall and membrane. Such agents include Penicillin, Carbapenems, and Gentamicin, among others while bacteriostatic antibacterial such as Sulphonamides and Erythromycin slows and prevents the growth of bacteria by inhibiting the synthesis of proteins and metabolic pathways (Ullah & Ali, 2017, pp. 2-3). Two is the source of the agents. The source of antimicrobial agents can be natural from fungi sources; it is also obtainable from semi-synthetic properties by chemically altering natural products or is synthetic.
The third category is based on their range of activity, which can either be a broad or narrow spectrum. Narrow spectrum antibacterial such as lactamase and cloxacillin focuses on a specific group of bacteria while the broad spectrum antibacterial such as Ampicillin and Quinolones deals with different types of bacteria (Ullah & Ali, 2017, pp. 3-4). The fourth category is based on their different chemical structure; group A- β‐Lactams or group B- Aminoglycoside. The fifth category is based on how the agents work. Some agents inhibit the combination of the cell wall of the bacteria; others inhibit the proper functioning of the membrane, others prohibit the amalgamation of protein inhibitors while the last group prevents the synthesis of nucleic acid (Bobbarala, 2012).
Q.2 Differences between viral and bacterial infections
According to Mayo Clinic, a bacterium is a single-celled microorganism. It is considered to be the most successful form of life on earth as it can survive in different env
- Hormone Replacement Therapy: WeaknessesDescription: There are various weaknesses of HRT in form of the potential risks of its administration. The first weakness is that due to increased cholesterol saturation of bile, one faces an advanced risk of getting gall bladder disease....1 page/≈275 words | 3 Sources | APA | Health, Medicine, Nursing | Essay |
- Ethnicity and Pain Relationship Writing Assignment Description: Provide a description of the pathophysiology of acute, chronic, and referred pain along with similarities and differences between them....2 pages/≈550 words | 3 Sources | APA | Health, Medicine, Nursing | Essay |
- Describe Implementation Of Nursing Care ModelDescription: Describe implementation of current Nursing Care Model and recommend a different model that could be utilized to improve quality of nursing care...5 pages/≈1375 words | 4 Sources | APA | Health, Medicine, Nursing | Essay |