Difficulty Maintaining Diet Restrictions And Managing Polypharmacy (Essay Sample)
In a short essay (500-750 words), answer the Question at the end of Case Study 2. Cite references to support your positions. SHOULD BE 100 %
Prepare this assignment according to the APA guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. An abstract is not required.
This assignment uses a grading rubric. Instructors will be using the rubric to grade the assignment; therefore, students should review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the assignment criteria and expectations for successful completion of the assignment.
Case Study 2
Mr. P is a 76-year-old male with cardiomyopathy and congestive heart failure who has been hospitalized frequently to treat CHF symptoms. He has difficulty maintaining diet restrictions and managing his polypharmacy. He has 4+ pitting edema, moist crackles throughout lung fields, and labored breathing. He has no family other than his wife, who verbalizes sadness over his declining health and over her inability to get out of the house. She is overwhelmed with the stack of medical bills, as Mr. P always took care of the financial issues. Mr. P is despondent and asks why God has not taken him.
Considering Mr. P's condition and circumstance, write an essay of 500-750 words that includes the following:
• Describe your approach to care.
• Recommend a treatment plan.
• Describe a method for providing both the patient and family with education and explain your rationale.
• Provide a teaching plan (avoid using terminology that the patient and family may not understand).
Case Study 2
Approach to Care
The best approach to care for Mr. P is ensuring holistic care. This is defined by Dossey, Keegan and Barrere (2016) as the type of healing focusing on the whole individuals by uniting the body, spirit, mind, environment, and emotion. It is supported by Brooker and Waugh (2013) as the comprehensive system of care considering the physical, spiritual, emotional, economic, and social needs of an individual. It is also concerned with one's response to illness and the consequences of one's inability to meet self-care needs. In this case, the physician should not only be concerned with the physical illness of the patient but also his emotional issues. It is only after the patient's worries are addressed that he would be able to concentrate with his treatment. This includes with his spiritual health that is declining as he no longer trusts in God in anymore. It is also important that the patient is able to maintain diet restrictions and adhere to prescription. Holistic care would also deal with the worries of the wife who has to take care of the finances, medical bills, and husband's declining health.
Using holistic care, Brooker, Waugh, Van and Jordan (2016) argue that the physician should come up with a treatment plan that addresses all health aspects including physical, spiritual, emotional, economic, and social needs. While the condition of the patient should be controlled using medications, it is important that he understands the importance of diet restrictions to maintain his health. According to Dossey, Keegan and Barrere (2016), this is done through education and follow-up care bearing in mind that the patient is elderly and living with an elderly and worried wife who cannot take care of the husband as it should. With a nurse who visits the patient from time to time, it would be easy for the patient to adhere to the recommended diet and remember taking the pres
- Benefits of Professional OrganizationsDescription: Identify at least one contribution made by a professional nursing association that has had a positive impact on the nursing profession or healthcare...1 page/≈275 words | 2 Sources | APA | Health, Medicine, Nursing | Essay |
- Allied Health ShortageDescription: Allied Health Shortage Essay...2 pages/≈550 words | 3 Sources | APA | Health, Medicine, Nursing | Essay |
- Quality Improvement Plan Writing Assignment: Justifying CostDescription: Focus-providing care for Diabetic Patient away from the Emergency Room). Determine the cost of the improvement plan. What areas will require capital cost and how much?...2 pages/≈550 words | 4 Sources | APA | Health, Medicine, Nursing | Essay |