Men and Women Should Have Two Years of Mandatory Military and National Service Obligation (Annotated Bibliography Sample)
In this assignment, you will find three sources and create an annotated bibliography for those three sources. Essentially, you are going to be writing an explanation of the research you intend to use. As with the other assignments beginning in Unit 2, you should focus on an issue related to your chosen career and/or area of study. Each entry should include a reference and an annotation. The annotation will summarize the source and then discuss how you plan to use it in your essay. Please alphabetize the sources by last name.
***My Topic: Men and Women should have two years of mandatory military and national service obligation.***
You may also use any of these 4 sources listed below:
1. Bandow, D. (2019). Mandatory Universal National Service: A Dystopian Vision for a Free Society. Retrieved from https://www(dot)cato(dot)org/publications/testimony/mandatory-universal-national-service-dystopian-vision-free-society
2. Eniclerico, R. (2006). U.S. national debate topic, 2006-2007. Bronx, NY: H.W. Wilson.
3. Herman, J. (2002). Implementing universal national service in order to comply with Clausewitz's remarkable trinity. Carlisle Barracks, PA: U.S. Army War College.
4. ProCon.org. (2019). Mandatory National Service - Top 3 Pros and Cons - ProCon.org. Retrieved from https://www(dot)procon(dot)org/headline.php?headlineID=005433
(See Full Instructions Below)
In this assignment, you will create references and an annotation for those references. Typically, you would explain your research in an assignment called an Annotated Bibliography. The Argument Essay requires that you include evidence from multiple sources to support your position. The evidence that you use in that assignment needs to be both reliable and academic. How do you establish if a source is both of these things? Often, you have to examine who wrote the article, what publication it came from, and then how the article fits into your overall argument. In order to prepare for the Argument Essay Assignment, you will be working on your Research Explanation by creating an Annotated Bibliography with three (3) sources.
The Annotated Bibliography is a typical reference with an explanation of the source, a discussion on whether it is credible or not, and an ultimate decision on if the source will be useful to your argument. For example:
You would include the reference -
• Mitra, M. N. (2015). Animals are persons, too. Earth Island Journal, 29(4), 17.
And then an annotation of the reference-
• The source discusses chimpanzees being treated and ultimately categorized as “persons.” The writer visits a zoo and also discusses a case from 2013 to support this topic. The article could be useful if I planned to discuss the idea of chimpanzees being so classified, but since I do not want to use that in my essay, the source will not be beneficial.
The goal of the Annotated Bibliography is to help you find and analyze the sources you plan to use in your upcoming essay.
• Three (3) sources and their annotations.
• You may use “I” in this bibliography; though, keep in mind that the first person will not be used in the Argumentative Writing Assignment.
Men and Women Should Have Two Years of Mandatory Military and National Service Obligation
Bandow, D. (2019). Mandatory Universal National Service: A Dystopian Vision for a Free Society. Retrieved from https://www.cato.org/publications/testimony/mandatory-universal-national-service-dystopian-vision-free-society
Doug Bandow talks about the importance of mandatory universal national service (MUNS) to Americans. He compares the nature of contemporary MUNS with one which America had during the times of Frenchman Alexis de Tocqueville. About the latter, the author maintains that the service was not only decentralized, but it was also voluntary. However, the article further states that the service “was not organized or directed, and certainly not mandated, by government. Additionally, many communities had loose requirements for militia duty, and a national military draft was imposed on and vigorously resisted by many in both North and South during the Civil War” (Para.2).
Besides, this article talks about bad arguments and proposes advantageous arguments that support the need for the United States to have mandatory universal national services among men and women. Therefore, this article will be particularly helpful when drafting the argumentative proposal.
Herman, J. (2002). Implementing universal national service in order to comply with Clausewitz's remarkable trinity. Carlisle Barracks, PA: U.S. Army War College.
According to this journal, the implementation of the Mandatory Universal National Service in the United States will help to mirror the equilibrium between the remarkable trinity or the militia, the federal government, as well
You Might Also Like Other Topics Related to civil war:
- Watch Professor VoiceThread The Early Republic and Antebellum ErasDescription: In the clip titled The Early Republic and Antebellum Eras, some important pieces of information arise. One important piece of information is how the North and the South became separated and chose different paths that saw the North grow tremendously....3 pages/≈825 words | 5 Sources | MLA | Visual & Performing Arts | Essay |
- Rise and Fall of the Jim Crow Era between the End of ReconstructionDescription: Prepare and submit an annotated bibliography in APA format containing a minimum of four (4) sources, one of which must be an article from an academic journal of historical research....7 pages/≈1925 words | 5 Sources | APA | History | Research Paper |
- Cultural and Intellectual Contexts in Paradise LostDescription: Richard Allestree’s work, “The privileges of the University of Oxford in point of visitation cleerly evidenced by a letter to an honourable personage: together with the university's answer to the summons of the visitors” is the chosen primary text....4 pages/≈1100 words | 4 Sources | Other | Social Sciences | Other (Not Listed) |