Paparozzi and Demichele (Annotated Bibliography Sample)
Project 1: Annotated Bibliography
Must be written in the American Psychological Association (APA) format
· The annotation is a brief (usually about 150 words) paragraph that provides some descriptive and evaluative information about each book, article, etc.
1. Your Annotated Bibliography must contain four (4) sources, at least two of which must come from the UMUC Library data base. (but not mandatory)
2. Locate books, periodicals, and documents that may contain useful information and ideas on your topic. You may conduct your research with the assistance of a UMUC librarian, reviewing your own personal materials on the topic, using the Internet, visiting an actual library, etc. and review the available items. Then, choose those works that provide a variety of perspectives on your topic.
4. Each reference is to be followed by the annotation. The purpose of the annotation is to inform the reader of the relevance, accuracy, and quality of the sources cited. Creating an annotated bibliography calls for a variety of intellectual skills: concise exposition, succinct analysis, and informed library research.
5. Write a concise annotation (150 words) for each reference that summarizes the central theme and scope of the book, article, or document. This must include one or more sentences that,
a) evaluates the authority or background of the author (Why should we be impressed with what they wrote?);
b) comments on the intended audience;
c) compares or contrasts the work with at least one other article in your biography; and
d) explains how this work helped you better understand your bibliography topic.
NOTE: Annotations vs. Abstracts : Abstracts are the purely descriptive summaries often found at the beginning of scholarly journal articles or in periodical indexes. Annotations are descriptive and critical; they expose the author's point of view, clarity and appropriateness of expression, and authority. Abstracts will not be accepted for this project.
· Each annotation should contain approximately 150 words.
· Double space, 12 pt. font, 1” margins
-Cover page for your assignment
· Include your name
· Course title and number
· Project title
· Topic selected
· Date of submission
Date of Submission:
Paparozzi, M., and Demichele, M. (2008). Probation and Parole: Overworked, Misunderstood,
and Under-Appreciated: But Why? The Howard Journal, 47(3): 275-296.
Paparozzi and Demichele (2008) intended to understand the perception held by the public on probation and parole. As a result, the authors conducted the study in question. It is critical that the authors used several subtopics to communicate their opinion. For instance, the authors discussed about the increasing prison population, cost-benefit, and public safety, the criminal justice system, and current professional trends. All the aforementioned topics were discussed by relating them to probation and parole. It is notable that the authors cited several authors implying they conducted a thorough literature survey. Consequently, the authors deduced that failure in the parole and probation profession created a policy lacuna that is always filled by incompetent elected officials. It is critical to highlight that the authors did not collect data and only depended on secondary sources of information. Therefore, the credibility of the study is questionable because it is subject to second party bias.
The Editorial Board. (2014, Feb 16). New York's Broken Parole System. New York Times.
Retrieved from /2014/02/17/opinion/new-yorks-broken-parole-system.html
This article argues that the New York parole system is a failure. The authors believe that crime...
- Criminal Justice/Security Related Paperrity relatedDescription: Your work should summarize, evaluate, and analyze the article. The purpose of the annotation is to inform the reader of the relevance, accuracy, and quality of the sources cited...2 pages/≈550 words | 2 Sources | APA | Law | Annotated Bibliography |
- High School Curriculum: Arguments for Against Death PenaltyDescription: Your paper will need content supported by peer reviewed, scholarly articles and scholarly studies that you find in the University Online Library data bases...8 pages/≈2200 words | 15 Sources | APA | Law | Annotated Bibliography |
- Annotated Bibliography: Police Use of Surveillance DronesDescription: The paper will focus on the various articles that highlight the importance and issues associated with the use of drones by law enforcement....2 pages/≈550 words | 4 Sources | APA | Law | Annotated Bibliography |