Effectiveness of War On Drugs (Research Paper Sample)
College of Nursing
Opinion Paper Directions
The purpose of this assignment is to provide the student with the opportunity to analyze 2 divergent opinions related to a topic in substance abuse. The student should attempt to debate the issue in a scholarly, objective manner; therefore stating your opinion in the introduction is not appropriate.
Identify a topical issue related to substance abuse that you may have heard discussed that invokes a variety of opinions. Examples: clean needle exchange, legalization of marijuana, efficacy of War on Drugs, drug treatment for incarcerated individuals, or other similar controversial issue. Clearly state the question under debate. Clearly identify 3 points on both sides of the issue. Use the literature to identify both sides of the controversy and discuss your findings in a 600-900 word APA 6th edition formatted paper. Support each argument with a primary source citation. Avoid quotations in this brief paper. In the conclusion, state which side of the argument you support and why. You may use the 1st person in the conclusion of this paper, but try to avoid it.
This paper must be submitted for formative (feedback) and summative (final evaluation) evaluation. This does NOT mean that the first submission is a draft! The formative paper should be your best attempt at the finished product, and must meet the word requirement. Feedback will be provided where you submitted your paper, in either text boxes and/or audio feedback. Please note the faculty cannot correct your paper, but will give you feedback about how well you are meeting the criteria for the paper, and where you might need to improve. If necessary, the faculty will ask that you set up a phone appointment to discuss your paper further. You may request a phone or live meeting anytime also. This paper will be submitted to the Turn-It-In plagiarism monitor at the same time it is submitted for formative review. You will be expected to revise your work to achieve < 10% match in Turn-It-In before the summative evaluation.
See the criteria below for a successful paper:
- Describe a controversial topic related to substance abuse.
- Define the problem and evidence that it exists
- Identify the purpose of the paper.
- Content/ Arguments
- Discuss 3 arguments in favor of the controversy, using peer reviewed literature to support the arguments.
- Discuss 3 arguments against the controversy, using peer reviewed literature to support the arguments.
- Discuss the best solution with support from the literature.
- Grammar: Use precise words, without slang or personal pronouns. Ensure there are appropriate transition sentences from one section to the next. (review “How to write a scholarly paper” lecture).
- APA: Include title & reference pages formatted in APA; use a minimum of 3 current (< 5 years) peer reviewed references.
Effectiveness of War On Drugs
EFFECTIVENESS OF WAR ON DRUGS
Numerous drugs that are currently believed to be illegal like the coca, opium, marijuana as well as psychedelics were anciently used for both spiritual and medical purposes. Some of these drugs were prohibited because they were considered highly harmful to human health. However, regardless of the efforts to ban them, they are widely used by people for varying reasons. This stirred up a need to starting war on drugs with the motive of reducing the widespread consumption which risk individuals’ health. This has been a global war for around the past fifty years focused on achieving a world that is drug free(Kilmer, 2010). However, there have been different arguments on whether this war has been effective or not. A certain group believes that the war on drugs has yielded some fruits, while the other disagrees completely, stating that the efforts have been in vain despite consuming a lot of money in the operation. The debate will assist in coming up with a conclusive report of the query.
After the discovery of the harm that the illicit drugs could cause, President Nixon launched the United States War on drugs with an expectation of bringing a reformation into to the country. The campaign of reducing and possibly ending drug abuse has been happening for a very long time after scientific tests were made to medical efficacy and safety in the years of nineteen sixties (Tiger, 2013). After the launching of the war on drugs, Nixon dramatically increased the presence and size of the agencies of the federal drug control. The war on drug had positive impacts because the people that consumed the illicit drugs ceased since it was prohibited and thus taking it would be against the law. Even though many records shows that the war on drug failed to be effective, some organizations still holds their grounds that legalizing drugs generally would be a great mistake. Through the introduction of war on drugs reforms some individuals who were afraid of breaking the law and who understood the dangers involved refrained from it (Tiger, 2013). Even though the war on drug was not completely effective, it was ethical and a good idea because it formed a country with protection against oneself and others. The more a country uses the illicit drugs excessively, the more the cases of robbery, rape, as well as murder among other heinous crimes. Another advantage of war on drugs is that it brought about security and safety as the most dangerous people that used drugs were taken to prison cells. Moreover, the deaths, rape cases, as well as robberies with violence reduced as people withdrew from the act and others were jailed. Some people argue that moral cord rejects these kinds of acts and thus making the drugs would be right since it enhances such behaviors. In addition, there have been abolitions of factories that manufactured illicit drugs, which were discovered during the war ...
You Might Also Like Other Topics Related to legalize marijuana:
- Legalization of marijuanaDescription: Marijuana as general recreational and street drug . Legalization of marijuana Health and Medicine Research Paper...3 pages/≈825 words | 3 Sources | APA | Health, Medicine, Nursing | Research Paper |
- Prohibition of Marijuana BibliographyDescription: Prohibition of Marijuana Bibliography Education Annotated Bibliography Undergraduate level...5 pages/≈1375 words | No Sources | MLA | Education | Annotated Bibliography |
- Prohibition of MarijuanaDescription: Prohibition of Marijuana Education Research Paper Undergraduate level...6 pages/≈1650 words | 6 Sources | MLA | Education | Research Paper |