FASB Codification Exercise Writing Assignment (Other (Not Listed) Sample)
The Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB), is a domestic, not-for-profit organization based in Connecticut. For over forty years, the FASB has helped set reporting standards within the accounting trade. You may visit their website by clicking here to read more about the history of the FASB. One of the FASB’s major contributions to the accounting profession is the FASB Codification. Codification content is organized by subject matter in a hierarchy. Think of it as an “outline” structure that you can drill into to get information regarding your specific topic of interest.
The Codification’s hierarchy begins with the following four highest levels:
As you research, you will drill down in the hierarchy, beginning with the Area of interest, then picking the Topic within the area, then the Subtopic, then the Section. Areas, Topics, and Subtopics are simply landing pages that contain tables of contents. Sections are the only pages that have Codification content.
For example, if you wanted to research costing inventory, you would drill down by clicking on the following: Assets > 330 Inventory > 10 Overall > 30 Initial Measurement > General > 30-1 Cost Basis
You would then see the detailed codification specific to costing inventory.
Although there are literally thousands of sections within the hundreds of subtopics, once you practice and get used to moving around in the Codification, it is easy to research your accounting topics. You may find yourself utilizing it not only for class research, but also for topics you are working on in your professional life and topics that you may simply find interesting.
Note: Once you have drilled down to your subtopic, you may find it useful to click on “Combine Subsections”. This will show the different subsections and their content on one page, allowing you to quickly scan and review areas of interest to you.
The Codification is organized within the following 9 Areas:
Within the Industry area, there are 32 industries identified that have specific items unique to them. These industries range from five different areas of Entertainment to Mining, Financial Services, Airlines, Agriculture, Franchisors, Software, Health Care Entities, and many more!
To complete this assignment, you will need to access the FASB Codification at http://aaahq(dot)org/ascLogin.cfm. (Note: A login and password are required to access this site and are available from your professor.)
For Assignment 1, write a 2-to-4-page paper in which you:
1.Select one of the industries that interests you, and briefly explain why. .
2.Identify how many subtopics are in the industry you selected..
3.Pick two subtopics within your selected industry that are applicable to a Balance Sheet (something to do with assets, liabilities, or equity).
4.Identify your chosen subsections by number and title. Explain what they mean in your own words..
5.Based on your review of your chosen industry, identify what you think accountants in the industry might be focused on as an area or areas of concern..
6.This course requires use of Strayer Writing Standards (SWS). The format is different than other Strayer University courses. Please take a moment to review the SWS documentation for details. .
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
•Examine the long-term assets portion of a balance sheet, including property, plant, and equipment and intangible assets..
•Assess GAAP, IFRS, and how to research utilizing the FASB Accounting Standards Codification..
Grading for this assignment will be based on answer quality, logic / organization of the paper, and language and writing skills, using the following rubric.
FASB Codification Exercise
FASB Codification Exercise
The banking industry played a crucial role in regulating credit, issuing loans, managing taxes, and enhancing economic growth. The Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB) is a not-for-profit organization that provides standards for financial reporting and accounting across different industries (FASB, 2018). FASB codification provides a systematic method of navigating the website to access and understand different reporting standards for different institutions. I chose to study the financial statements for the banking industry because I am interested in knowing how banks manage assets and liabilities. I also have a passion for delivering financial services to businesses, students, schools, churches, and all other people and institutions that require the assistance of the banking industry. I think that by understanding the FASB financial reporting standards and how they work, I will maximize my passion and enhance my accounting skills and prepare me for my future role in this industry.
Selected subtopic I: Accounting policies for loans and receivables (310-10-50-1)
There are three topics in this Banks operate by issuing loans to financial institutions regarding money or assets that have monetary value. Some banks also participate in investment activities and are listed at the New York Security Exchange (NYSE) to trade and maximize the wealth of shareholders. When giving out loans and grants, banks s
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
- Relationship Essays
- Plagiarism Essays
- Poems Essays
- Identity Essays
- Vaccination Essays
- Death penalty Essays
- Cold war Essays
- Song analysis Essays
- Animal cruelty Essays
- Kill a mockingbird Essays
- Homeless Essays
- Salem witch trials Essays
- Medicinal marijuana Essays
- The yellow wallpaper Essays
- Fear Essays
- Freedom of speech Essays
- Financial Statement Review- Cold Mountain Furnace CompanyDescription: Prepare the Cold Mountain Furnace Company’s projected Income Statement and Balance Sheet for each quarterly reporting period of 2019. In addition, prepare the company’s projected Income Statement and Statement of Cash Flows for the full year of 2019....1 page/≈275 words | No Sources | APA | Accounting, Finance, SPSS | Other (Not Listed) |
- Assignment 2: Non-for-Profit Financial Reporting Review Finance EssayDescription: The non for-profit organizations (NFPs), are diverse and FASB) guidance in Statement No. 117 recognize this by allowing flexibility when reporting to the public as there are some wholly dependent on government grants, fees to goods and services and private philanthropy ...3 pages/≈825 words | 4 Sources | APA | Accounting, Finance, SPSS | Other (Not Listed) |
- Financial Statement / Audit Report Review: Palm Beach CityDescription: Every state in the United States is required to prepare a comprehensive annual financial report (CAFR) to describe and account for taxpayers' funds. GASB (The Governmental Accounting Standards Board) is in charge of setting standards and requirements that must be met by all entities preparing CAFR...4 pages/≈1100 words | 3 Sources | APA | Accounting, Finance, SPSS | Other (Not Listed) |