Math 201 Basic Statistics Module 1 (Essay Sample)
Module 2 - SLP
Measures of Central Tendency
By submitting this assignment, you affirm that it contains all original work, and that you are familiar with Trident University’s Academic Integrity policy in the Trident Policy Handbook. You affirm that you have not engaged in direct duplication, copy/pasting, sharing assignments, collaboration with others, contract cheating and/or obtaining answers online, paraphrasing, or submitting/facilitating the submission of prior work. Work found to be unoriginal and in violation of this policy is subject to consequences such as a failing grade on the assignment, a failing grade in the course, and/or elevated academic sanctions. You affirm that the assignment was completed individually, and all work presented is your own.
Using the data you collected in the Module 1 SLP, write a paper (1–3 pages) including all of the following content:
- Calculate the mean, median, and mode of your collected data. Show and explain your calculations.
- Are these numbers higher or lower than you expected? Explain.
- Which of these measures of central tendency do you think most accurately describes the variable you are looking at? Provide your justification.
- Create a box plot to represent the data, labeling and numerating all 5 points on the box plot. For the plot, you may draw and insert it in your paper as a picture. Make sure it is legible.
Submit your paper at the end of Module 2.
SLP Assignment Expectations
Answer all questions posted in the instructions. Use information from the modular background readings and videos as well as any good-quality resource you can find. Cite all sources in APA style and include a reference list at the end of your paper.
Note about page length: Your ability to clearly articulate and explain these concepts is being assessed. The page length is a general guideline. A 3- or 4-page paper does not necessarily guarantee a grade of “A.” An “A” paper would include detailed information and explanations of all the assignment requirements listed above. The letter grade will be based upon demonstrated mastery of the content and ability to articulate and apply the concepts in the assignment. Keep this in mind while writing your paper.
Math 201 Basics Statistics Module 1
A measure of central tendency measures location and are the mean, mode and median, and they identify a central position in a data set. The measures of central tendency are appropriate under different conditions. The mean takes into account all the values in a dataset, and the sum of deviations is equal to zero (Black, 2010). The statistical analysis focuses on the two observations together rather than two separate data sets of five observations each. Hence, there will be emphasis on the mean, mode, media, expected results and will illustrate the results using a box plot.
Mean, median, and mode of the collected data
Data Set: 35, 38, 49, 32, 40, 37, 38, 34, 45, and 31Statistics:
The data set for the time spent driving to and from work represents 35 minutes for the first day and 311 minutes in the 10 day the observations were recorded. Since the total minutes for the ten 10 days is 379 minutes the mean (average) time spent each day was 37.9 minutes being 379/10. There were two observations at 38 minutes in the second and seventh day. Since there are ten observations the median value is the average of the fifth and sixth value after rearranging the data set in an ascending order (31, 32, 34, 35, 37, 38, 38, 40, 45, and 49). Hence, the median is 37.5 being (37+38)/2.
Expectations about the numbers
Even though, the expected average time was between 30 and 40 minutes and specifically 35 minutes, and the recorded time was as expected and did not deviate too much. American Commuters typically spend more time in traffic spending up to 38 hours in a year (Werbach, 2013). Even though, I spent 45 min...
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
- Dance Essays
- Depression Essays
- Conflict Essays
- Scientific Essays
- Human rights Essays
- Career Essays
- A rose for emily Essays
- Personal experiences Essays
- Things fall apart Essays
- Abraham lincoln Essays
- Heart of darkness Essays
- Suicide Essays
- Fast food Essays
- Short story Essays
- French revolution Essays
- High school Essays
- Economics and the World BankDescription: The main goal of the World Bank has always been to improve the economic conditions of the worlds countries. ...2 pages/≈550 words | 3 Sources | APA | Mathematics & Economics | Essay |
- Economic Concern of BrazilDescription: The South American country that I have taken to a research is Brazil. Brazil is the largest country in South America and 5th largest country in the world...2 pages/≈550 words | 3 Sources | APA | Mathematics & Economics | Essay |
- Inferential Statistics: Chi-SquareDescription: Few people realize that there are actually three kinds of chi-square tests, each test dependent on the kind of data being analyzed and the hypothesis being tested...1 page/≈275 words | 2 Sources | APA | Mathematics & Economics | Essay |