Discussion: An Epidemic in the Community Health, Medicine Essay (Essay Sample)
To prepare for this Discussion, visit the CDC Wonder site in this week’s resources. Investigate the incidence and prevalence of TB in your community. What information did you find? Analyze how your community compares to county, state, or national data for the same topic. Was the incidence and prevalence of each higher or lower than you expected?
Consider the following scenario: This is Debbie’s first year working as a nurse at the local health department in a rural county. Most of her days are spent in the clinic seeing clients who often do not have health insurance.
Over the past month, Debbie has noticed that several young Hispanic men have come to the health department, each diagnosed with tuberculosis. Debbie is concerned about what the outbreak of tuberculosis among the migrant workers could mean for the community. Through a community health profile, Debbie identifies the group of migrant farm workers as being at highest risk for contracting tuberculosis.
Using the Epidemiologic Triangle concept, consider the relationship among causal agents, susceptible persons, and environmental factors. Then, respond to the following:
As a BSN-prepared community health nurse, what steps should Debbie take next?
Considering economic and social considerations within the community, what are the primary, secondary, and tertiary interventions that Debbie might use in managing this outbreak?
Can similar interventions be applied to your community and its TB prevalence?
What considerations need to be addressed within your community that are different form Debbie’s community?
Analyzed the economic and social issues of Hispanic men diagnosed with tuberculosis using the epidemiologic triangle in the scenario provided.
Compared the status of tuberculosis for own community and considered appropriate interventions.
Analyzed the role of the nurse in epidemiologic surveillance and primary, secondary, and tertiary prevention.
The prevalence of TB in the United States is analyzed per State. There are four major categories in the CDC Wonder evaluation; American Samoa, Guam, Northern Marianas, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands (Center for Disease Control and Prevention, 2019). My community Texas fall under Guam and Northern Marianas. The latest data from the CDC indicated that the National Average was 2.8 for every 100000 individuals. Texas has a hirer rate than the national average, meaning it is more at risk of the disease. I did not expect the rates to be higher than the national average, but, surprisingly, it is so.
The Epidemiologic Triangle Concept gives the formula for assessing a disease from three components. There is the agent, the host, and the environment (Gulis & Fujino, 2015). After notic
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
- Depression Essays
- Conflict Essays
- Scientific Essays
- Human rights Essays
- Career Essays
- A rose for emily Essays
- Personal experiences Essays
- Things fall apart Essays
- Abraham lincoln Essays
- Heart of darkness Essays
- Suicide Essays
- Fast food Essays
- Short story Essays
- French revolution Essays
- High school Essays
- Standardized testing Essays
- LW11 Health, Medicine, Nursing Essay Research PaperDescription: Several general themes have been pulled from the readings and the topic this week. First, it has been highlighted that technology has greatly influenced the health communication. This has been enhanced by social media sites such as YouTube, Twitter, blogs, and Facebook...1 page/≈275 words | APA | Health, Medicine, Nursing | Essay |
- CREATING YOUR ORAL PRESENTATION/POD CAST-scripts onlyDescription: Work in communication has been changing in recent years. The internet itself changed communication substantially, making it both faster and easier. ...1 page/≈275 words | APA | Health, Medicine, Nursing | Essay |
- Health Care Ethics Td Health, Medicine, Nursing EssayDescription: Medical research and practice is a field that requires ethical guiding principles like autonomy, Beneficence, non-maleficence, and Justice. This essay analyzes the four principles on how they impact patient health practitioner relationships....2 pages/≈550 words | APA | Health, Medicine, Nursing | Essay |