Business Law: Intellectual Property Assignment (Coursework Sample)
You may complete this assignment by yourself or in pairs. You must answer all questions for all four scenarios. Please note, your answers should address the legal issues with intellectual property, not the business issues. None of the answers involve starting a lawsuit against the potential intellectual property violator.
Scenario #1 (7 marks)
Aedan and June operate a coffee store in Markham called Aedan and June’s Starbuck Coffee Café. They opened the Café in 2018. June’s favourite colour is green, so they decided their logo should be green and white. Aedan wanted to honour his mom, so they chose a female as the symbol for their logo.
Six months after opening, Aedan and June receive a letter from Starbucks Coffee Company advising that they need to cease and desist.
- Identify which specific type of intellectual property Starbucks Coffee Company thinks Aedan and June’s Starbuck Coffee Café violates. (1 mark)
- Explain how Aedan and June’s Starbuck Coffee Café violates Starbucks Coffee Company’s intellectual property. (2 marks)
- If you were Aedan and June, what two arguments would you make to say that they did not violate Starbucks Coffee Company’s intellectual property. (2 marks)
- How many years of intellectual property protection is Starbucks Coffee Company entitled to? (1 mark)
- If Starbucks Coffee Company did not register their intellectual property, are they still entitled to protection? (1 mark)
Scenario #2 (2 marks)
Momin runs a very successful clothing line called “Wear it Proud” in Ottawa. In addition to designing his own clothing, he also creates his own textiles. While travelling in Toronto he sees one his textiles in a store window. While thrilled that someone thought his textile was amazing enough to copy, he was unhappy his design was used without his consent.
- Identify which specific type of intellectual property the Toronto store is violating. (1 mark)
- Even though it is Momin’s design, when would it not be protected under intellectual property law? (1 mark)
Scenario #3 (8 marks)
Harry is a graphic artist creating graffiti wallpaper. He designs, manufactures and markets his graffiti wallpaper. In order to market his work, he created a website. On the website, his company logo is across the top. When visitors first open the website, they are greeted with an acoustic guitar piece that Harry wrote himself.
- Identify two specific works that are entitled to the same intellectual property protection. (2 marks)
- Which specific type of intellectual property do the two works fall under? (1 mark)
- For each of the two works, how long does the intellectual property last? (2 marks)
- Does Harry have to register his intellectual property to gain the protections? (1 mark)
- What symbol identifies the two works as being protected under intellectual property law? (1 mark)
- Which statute provides Harry the intellectual property protections? (1 mark)
Scenario #4 (3 marks)
Novartis Pharmaceutical is working on a new pain reliever. It improves on its top selling existing pain reliever.
- Since Novartis Pharmaceutical is only improving upon its existing patented pain reliever should it register a new patent? Explain your answer. (3 marks)
Each requirement of the assignment identifies how many marks it is worth (20 total marks).
Please note I will take the following deductions on assignments submitted on time:
- Poor grammar, typos, poor sentence structure – 1 mark deduction
- Not professionally organized – 1 mark deduction
- Not professional looking – 1 mark deduction
- Exceeding page limit – 3 pages maximum – 5 mark deduction
Any late assignments will be dealt with in accordance with the Course Outline.source..
1 Identify which specific type of intellectual property Starbucks Coffee Company thinks Aedan and June’s Starbuck Coffee Café violates. (1 mark)
2 Explain how Aedan and June’s Starbuck Coffee Café violates Starbucks Coffee Company’s intellectual property. (2 marks)
Although they have their own reasons in their own perspectives, the founders of Aedan and June’s Starbuck Coffee Café violated the protected intellectual rights of Startbuck’s Company by adopting a part of their name. To the latter, adding Starbuck to the Café is a form of infringement.
Secondly, Aedan and June’s Starbuck Coffee Café adopted and copied the main initials of the logo of Starbuck Coffee Company. This is in the sense that they added the green and white color, then included a woman to the design. Those are the same initials present in the main design of Starbuck’s Coffee Company and that is a violation of their intellectual rights.
3 If you were Aedan and June, what two arguments would you make to say that they did not violate Starbucks Coffee Company’s intellectual property? (2 marks)
Firstly, I would articulate that my decision to use the colors was massively encouraged and facilitated on a personal ground by my interests. This is to say that green is my favorite color, it has always been and due to the white color being a majorly default color, I decided that my logo should contain the two colors.
Secondly, I would say that the logo had to involve a female individual and that is not to copy any existing but to honor my mother. Finally, I would argue that due to the totally different stands and perspectives of the creations, I have not violated any intellectual right.
4 How many years of intellectual property protection is Starbucks Coffee Company entitled to? (1 mark)
5 If Starbucks Coffee Company did not register their intellectual property, are they still entitled to protection? (1 mark)
No, it is the choice of a company to do or not to acquire intellectual property protection.
1 Identify which specific type of intellectual property the Toronto store is violating. (1 mark)
2 Even though it is Momin’s design, wh
You Might Also Like Other Topics Related to the yellow wallpaper:
- Case 1 Assignment: Financial Institutions and MarketsDescription: In the word document of “Financial Institutions and Markets”, the highlight parts are requirements, and the yellow highlight part is the focus. In this document, choose one of the "quotations and references"...5 pages/≈1375 words | 5 Sources | APA | Accounting, Finance, SPSS | Case Study |
- Visual Analysis For Advertisement: Successful Brands Description: The instructor asked me to write almost 900 words of Advertisement visual analysis including introduction thesis and body paragraphs and conclusion. ...3 pages/≈825 words | No Sources | APA | Literature & Language | Other (Not Listed) |
- The Long Essay will be written on the topic of Celia's SongDescription: Referring to at least three specific episodes in the story, examine how Celia and Mink perceive the imbalance of loyalty and restlessness at work in specific circumstances....4 pages/≈1100 words | 60 Sources | MLA | Literature & Language | Book Review |