BU350 Organizational Behavior (Coursework Sample)
ASSIGNMENT 04BU350 Organizational Behavior
Directions: Unless otherwise stated, answer in complete sentences, and be sure to use correct
English, spelling and grammar. Sources must be cited in APA format. Your response should be
four (4) double-spaced pages; refer to the "Assignment Format" page located on the Course
Home page for specific format requirements.
Respond to the items below.
1. Briefly describe the concept of status.
2. Describe the global implications that status has for an international manager in Western culture, with two (2) original examples.
3. Describe the global implications that status has for an international manager in Eastern culture, with two (2) original examples.
Respond to the items below.
1. Briefly describe four (4) of the barriers to effective communication, and provide one (1) original example of each.
2. Provide one (1) original workplace example for each of the following communication situations: oral communication in downward flowing direction; written communication in upward flowing direction; and non-verbal communication in lateral flowing direction.
Status is a pervasive construct in organizational literature. It is a position within a hierarchy that is fostered by a given social group which, therefore, means specific behaviors and roles. The parties involved here know and act in accordance to their status and behavior of the other party and vice versa (Sabadie, 2010). In the Eastern culture, status really matters and forms part of their world. For example, historically, Joseon Dynasty was longest running Confucian empire that incorporated the idea of status deep in their line of thought. In addition, to be socially accepted in society one has to climb the social ladder. Therefore, currently the influence of status is playing a part in manager originating from the East. This evident where most companies from the East struggle be industry leaders where they operate in order to be recognized and example in Toyota from Japan and Sony. In the western world, status is not that important. This is seen in the more liberal approach of management where managers interact freely with subordinates. This is evident in the low power distance in the western culture according to Hofstede (hofstede.com, 2014).
A breakdown in communication can occur at any point of the communication process. Different barriers exist that...
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
- Civil rights movement Essays
- Poetry analysis Essays
- Racial discrimination Essays
- Sociological imagination Essays
- Feminist Essays
- Industrial revolution Essays
- Culture Essays
- Drunk driving Essays
- Cell phone Essays
- Art Essays
- Sociology Essays
- Capital punishment Essays
- Imperialism Essays
- Childhood obesity Essays
- Nursing career Essays
- Physician assisted suicide Essays
- Business and Marketing Discussions 2 (Coursework)Description: What role do long-term objectives play in helping the enterprise make appropriate strategic choice decisions? Coursework...1 page/≈275 words | 2 Sources | APA | Business & Marketing | Coursework |
- Strategic Management: Course work discussion Description: Strategic Management: Course work discussion . What role does analyzing customer needs play in shaping an effective value chain?...1 page/≈275 words | 2 Sources | APA | Business & Marketing | Coursework |
- Business and Marketing DiscussionsDescription: Business and Marketing: Which are most important among the economic, technological, social and demographic, political and ecological segments?...1 page/≈275 words | No Sources | APA | Business & Marketing | Coursework |