Book Review Essay: The Unequal City. Social Sciences Book Review (Book Review Sample)
Book Review Essay: The Unequal City Introduction to Urban Studies (UPPP 4)
The book review essay is on Capital City: Gentrification and the Real Estate State. The essay asks you to evaluate the book while drawing on readings and lectures from weeks 4 through 6.
Students are required to answer the four prompts below. Answers should be two pages long (double space, 12-point font, 1-inch margins). We are assessing your knowledge of course materials (lectures and readings). MLA or APA formats are acceptable. Submit in Word or PDF format only. Do not submit in Pages format.
The book review essay is worth 50 points. 5 points will be deducted for papers turned in within 24 hours after the deadline. Essays will not be accepted more than 24 hours after the deadline. Submit your papers at least two hours before the official deadline. This will help prevent last minute glitches.
Due Monday, February 24 at 6:00 p.m. through Canvas.
Your answers must be written in a standard essay format consisting of a short introduction (with a thesis statement), supporting paragraphs that respond to each of the prompts, and a short conclusion. There should be no more than two direct quotations.
1. What does Stein mean by the real estate state? Is the real estate state neoliberal? Support your answer.
2. What are the principal causes of gentrification?
3. According to Stein, what are the specific things that planners do to support gentrification?
4. What are important consequences from gentrification?
Capital City: Gentrification and the Real Estate State
Stein describes the real estate as “a political formation in which real estate capital has inordinate influence over the shape of our cities, the parameters of our politics and the lives we lead” (Stein 5). He further suggests that this concept has been around since the states and private property, which is a very long time. Landowners are the central players in this scheme as they have determined the shape of cities and centuries. This position allows them to influence the idea of housing as a commodity. When it comes to the conversation on neoliberalism, it is right to state the real estate state is in the mix. In free-market capitalism, the private sector appears to have the upper hand in economics.
You Might Also Like Other Topics Related to scientific essays:
- Article Review. Quantitative Models for Decision Course. What Is Data Science? What is a Dat. . .Description: The data science field is gradually becoming the most in-demand discipline in most sectors as it provides tremendous opportunities for experts to provide an edge in disrupting retail, healthcare, insurance, and banking industries. ...1 page/≈275 words | APA | Management | Essay |
- EVPP 432-001. Energy profile of Oregon state. Life Sciences EssayDescription: Oregon lies on the West Coast of the U.S., in the Pacific Northwest region. Much of its northern border with Washington state is delineated by the Columbia River, while its boundary with Idaho is by the Snake River. ...4 pages/≈1100 words | 10 Sources | APA | Life Sciences | Essay |
- Organizational factors Social Sciences Essay PaperDescription: Organizational factors not only affect the business components within the organization, but also the human elements. For instance, the characteristics of the work environment may influence employee morale inducing diverse consequences on the employee and the organization’s productivity....2 pages/≈550 words | APA | Social Sciences | Essay |