San Francisco Bay (Book Report Sample)
Nature in the City
Week 8 Reading
Water: Ocean & Bay
Beatley, Tim. ¡°Blue Urbanism: City and Ocean,¡± in Places, April 2011
Walker, Richard. ¡°The Green and The Blue: Saving the Bay and the Coast,¡± in The Country in the City. Seattle: University of Washington Press, 2007. pp. 110-129.
Beatley¡¯s article is a call to action, asking cities to adopt what he calls ¡°blue urbanism¡± in the face of the multiple negative impacts of human activities, especially urban activities, on oceans and the marine environment.
Walker¡¯s chapter provides an overview of human use and impacts on the San Francisco Bay and the Pacific Coast and associated efforts to reclaim and restore their ecology.
Using issues mentioned in the articles (such as shipping and ports, fisheries, dead zones, plastic waste, citizen education, energy policy, land fills, water development, etc.) or a topic of your own, choose one aspect of marine ecosystems or marine related activity in the Bay Area to investigate.
Come to class prepared to discuss your chosen topic using the questions below as a guide.
Reading Response Students
For those students turning in a reading response, answer the following questions about your topic:
1. What is the human activity and how is it affecting the ocean or bay ecosystem?
2. What actions are being taken or have been taken to change the activity or lessen its impact?
3. What further efforts or actions could be employed?
Reading response: San Francisco Bay
What is the human activity and how is it affecting the ocean or bay ecosystem?
The eco-system of San Francisco has come under significant threat from increased expansion of agricultural lands, urban waterfronts and increased run-off from industrial and residential landscapes. As human activity continues to encroach on the rather serene ecosystem, increased nutrient effluents from households have exacerbated the risk of contaminating the Bay with harmful bacteria and algal blooms. These harmful elements posed a great danger of poisoning the fish consumed by the Bayâ€™s inhabitants, as well as degrading the human enjoyment and natural beauty of the Bay Area. Increased sediment draining from uplands has increased turbidity downstream, and this has greatly affected...
- Effective Coaching and Leadership Principles ResearchDescription: Summarize the reading making the reader familiar with the theme and story of the reading. Three important issues relevant to the coaching endeavor/profession ...2 pages/≈550 words | 1 Source | MLA | Literature & Language | Book Report |
- The Awakening by Kate Chopin Writing AssignmentDescription: Can I get paragraph by paragraph? Like i need to submit one paragraph each day. So if possible, just send me the introduction paragraph when you finished, and then one body paragraph and so on....3 pages/≈825 words | 1 Source | MLA | Literature & Language | Book Report |
- Between the World and Me Book Report Writing AssignmentDescription: In this letter he wrote about his history, thoughts, and personal experiences regarding the condition of African Americans as they grow up in America. ...3 pages/≈825 words | No Sources | MLA | Literature & Language | Book Report |