Arnold and Bowie’s “Sweatshops and Respect For Persons”. Term Paper (Term Paper Sample)
(1) Write a short term paper on Arnold and Bowie’s “Sweatshops and Respect For Persons”:
(i) explain their Kantian argument for living wage;
(ii) explain the objection that paying living wages will lead to higher unemployment and in turn harm workers’ interests;
(iii) explain one of Arnold and Bowie’s replies to this objection.
(2) You may make reference to Ian Maitland’s “The Great Non-Debate over International Sweatshops” in your answer to (ii). If you do, make sure that you explain his argument(s) clearly and sufficiently.
(3) For (iii), you should discuss a reply given by Arnold and Bowie that you think is significant/strong.
(4) Make sure to apply what we discussed in our writing workshops, e.g. stating the main thesis, writing topic sentences, etc.
(5) Word limit: 600 words (650 words max.)
Sweatshops and Respect for Persons
In their article titled Sweatshops and Respect for Persons, Norman Bowie and Dennis Arnold talk about the work ethics that are often ignored by established companies and large enterprises (Arnold & Bowie, 76). Throughout the article, the authors have emphasized the need to pay good money to employees and help them improve their standards of living. However, they did oppose the Kant’s conceptions of human dignity in one way or the other (Arnold & Bowie, 2003).
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
You Might Also Like Other Topics Related to respect essays:
- Arnold and Bowie’s “Sweatshops and Respect For Persons”Description: Answer: Dennis Arnold and Norman Bowie’s article got popularity in no time. It was published years ago and is still considered valid due to the fact that they have raised the issue of working hours that large enterprises do not pay any attention to....3 pages/≈825 words | 2 Sources | MLA | Business & Marketing | Term Paper |
- Pornographic Participation And Loss Of RespectDescription: Pornographic acting is currently a business involving both writing and acting on visual materials purposefully to arouse viewers. Such materials are accessible from live stream actions in clubs, pictures, magazines and movies among others....3 pages/≈825 words | 3 Sources | MLA | Literature & Language | Essay |
- Intrinsic Respect As A Basis For Respect For PersonsDescription: What are the implications of this criterion in the practice of engineering and/or computer science? Explain your answer....1 page/≈275 words | 1 Source | MLA | Creative Writing | Essay |