Lord’s Resistance Army: Child Soldiers In Indigenous Communities (Research Proposal Sample)
CRITICAL INCIDENT PROPOSAL
The Critical Incident Proposal is a 2-3-page document in which students set out which incident they'll choose, a list of five sources that you'll use to analyze the incident. The critical Incident proposal is foundation for the work presented in the report and video.
For this assignment you should demonstrate your ability to link a real-world incident with the critical themes of the course and identify sources (books, journal articles, web material) that provide a foundation for a full description and analysis of the incident.
Upon completion of the full report, you should be able to describe an incident, undertake an analysis of the incident using one or more of the themes and present your analysis in a succinct well documented paper.
1. A description of the critical incident that has been chosen, max 100 words.
3. A list of the sources/resources and the critical incident themes that you will use to investigate and analyze the incident.
Topic : • Lords Resistance Army: Child soldiers in Indigenous communities.
Critical Incident/Critical Analysis Themes: (PICK ONE OF THE 4 )
• Post colonialism, decolonization, resurgence and reconciliation.
• Indigenous knowledge, self-determination and healing.
• Sovereignty, social justice and settler colonialism.
• Cultural representation, cultural appropriation and the ‘other'.
Globally, it is estimated that there are more than 300,000 children who have been involved in child combat (Kelly, Jocelyn TD et al.). Suffering prolonged exposure to psychological and physical trauma (Kelly, Jocelyn TD et al.). The children are forced to kill their victims or maim them, using guns or crude weapons such as machetes. At the heart of East Africa is Uganda. This is a country bustling with life, a complete shift from what it used to be in the 80s. The Lord's Resistance Army was a rebellion that was a force to reckon with and formed of majority children. This was a rebellion that was one of the most horrid in the history of wars in the country. To put this into perspective, more than 30,000 children had been abducted to become child soldiers to fight in the war against the government (United Nations). One of the most disturbing elements of the child soldiers was that some of the children recruited into the army were as young as eight years old (United Nations). The recruitment were not as peaceful as one would imagine in a volunteer program, rather it was associated with raids in the villages where children would be abducted, houses burned down, parents killed and those who tried to escape were met with the same fate. The recruitment and the initiation processes were also as horrid, where the children would sometimes be required to kill a victim to be part of the system. As such, most of the soldiers killed victims who were much older than they were (United Nations).
The majority of the children were recruited as soldiers, however there was also the element of taking girls who were underage to become wives of the rebels. This was a common practice where the rebels would take girls and force them to bear children. This led to massive exodus as people moved to camps for security. Close to 2 million people were hosted in camps, travelling in the thick of t
- Lord’s Resistance Army: Child Soldiers In Indigenous CommunitiesDescription: The Critical Incident Proposal is a 2-3-page document in which students set out which incident they'll choose, a list of five sources that you'll use to analyze the incident. The critical Incident proposal is foundation for the work presented in the report and video....2 pages/≈550 words | 5 Sources | MLA | Social Sciences | Research Proposal |
- Research Menthods in Conflict StudiesDescription: Social Sciences: Research Menthods in Conflict Studies (Research Proposal)...2 pages/≈550 words | 2 Sources | MLA | Social Sciences | Research Proposal |