Legislative Proposal: How a Bill Becomes a Law (Research Proposal Sample)
As you have discovered through this course, nurses are influential members of the community and the political system. Therefore, for the purposes of this assignment you will identify a problem or concern in your community, organization, etc. that has the capacity to be legislated. You will conduct research and state a proposal. Through the legislative process, your proposal for the problem or concern may influence an idea for change into a law. First, refer to the \"How a Bill Becomes a Law\" media. http://lc.gcumedia.com/zwebassets/courseMaterialPages/nrs440v_how-a-bill-becomes-a-law-v2.1.php Download assignment and save it to your desktop. This is the assignment, so follow it please. After researching a problem in your community, you will develop a proposal (paper), submit to Turnitin, then submit it to the dropbox. APA format is not required, but solid academic writing is expected. (Please use the issue of patients using the Emergency Department as a drug dispenser of narcotics. Or requiring women who give birth to a baby who tests positive for illegal drugs, to attend drug rehab and counseling before child is released into their custody, or something along those lines.)
Legislative Worksheet (SBAR Format) –
How a Bill Becomes a Law
SITUATION: IS THIS SOMETHING THAN CAN BE LEGISLATED?
- Identify the problem/concern:
- State your proposal/idea.
BACKGROUND: DO YOUR RESEARCH
- Include studies, reports, personal experience, or anecdotal stories related to your proposal.
- Has there been similar legislation introduced and/or passed in other states? If so, include it.
ASSESSMENT: FINANCES AND STAKEHOLDERS
- Identify financial impact if any (e.g., added costs, cost savings, increased revenue):
- Identify stakeholder groups that would support this bill:
- Identify people/groups that would oppose this bill:
- Make an appointment with your legislator to discuss your proposal.
The problem of pregnant mothers who use drugs still elicits controversy as there is no agreement on the best way to deal with it. There is a need to improve maternal health and protect infants without harming the woman’s bodily integrity. There are many legislation gaps that do not address mothers’ responsibility and child neglect issues if their child or children test positive for drugs. There are also few alternatives for women seeking treatment for substance abuse and lack of awareness on counseling services (Pearson, 2013). This proposal requires women to undergone counseling and attends rehab if they test positive for illegal drugs, before a child is released into their custody
There are different responses in America among legislators in states, with some focusing on prenatal case scenario while others focusing on what should be done after the birth of a child. The act of testing women without their consent is at times seen as an attack on the Fourth Amendment, but there is also need to deal with prenatal substance abuse. 2003 amendments on Child Abuse Prevention and Treatment Act (CAPTA) captures most concerns about prenatal drug exposure to include child protection and defining child abuse.
In Tennessee, a 2014 bill proposing the criminalization of charges fo...
- Evidence-based Management of Congestive Heart FailureDescription: Prepare your final evidence-based practice proposal for a project whose focus is the resolution of an issue or problem significant to improving patient care. ...18 pages/≈4950 words | 7 Sources | APA | Health, Medicine, Nursing | Research Proposal |
- Introduction and Literature Search: Smoking CessationDescription: According to CDC, smoking causes more deaths in one year that, illegal drug abuse, HIV, alcohol use, motor vehicle injuries firearm related injuries combined ...4 pages/≈1100 words | 15 Sources | APA | Health, Medicine, Nursing | Research Proposal |
- Dissemination of Evidence: Congestive Heart FailureDescription: Summarize plans for disseminating evidence. Include which professional organizations, conferences, journals, or employers you would present your findings to...3 pages/≈825 words | 3 Sources | APA | Health, Medicine, Nursing | Research Proposal |