Phan Boi Chau: Examining the Document (Research Paper Sample)
Dear HIS/AS 182 students:
I mentioned in class that we would be reading a few primary sources, and that your 3 short papers that would be based on these. Your papers will be essays that do primary source analysis.
Each primary source is available on UBLearns and listed in the syllabus under the appropriate week for each.
They are also listed in the syllabus posted on UBLearns.
Start thinking Now about which ones you might wish to be the focus of your 3 short papers:
YOU MUST DO AT LEAST TWO (2) BEFORE THE MIDTERM. (There is only one option to write on after the midterm.)
(Make ups will not be allowed except in case of emergency and consultation with the professor.)
Here are the options from which you must choose:
1. Phan Bội Châu, Overturned Chariot: The Autobiography of Phan Bội Châu," 190-227 (DUE Friday Feb. 12)
2. Duus, ed., The Japanese Discovery of America: A Brief History with Documents: (use both documents)
- Ii Naosuke, Memorial on the American Demand for a Treaty, 1853
- Tokugawa Nariaki, Memorial on the American Demand for a Treaty, 1853 (DUE Friday Feb. 18)
3. M.K. Gandhi, Hind Swaraj. (DUE Friday Feb. 26)
4. Sukarno, Address, Bandung Conference, 1955 (DUE Friday March 4)
5. Ho Chi Minh, "Report on the National and Colonial Questions," 1924 (DUE Friday April 8)
Phan Boi Chau
The material, "Overturned Chariot" gives an autobiography of Phan Boi Chau who according to the material turned out to be the leader of a movement known as Vietnamese Independence. Phan Boi Chau is depicted in the material as the initiator of the movement that took place in the first quarter of the 20th century and is also determined as the link between those who prompted the struggle against the French regime in Vietnam, the older generation, and the younger generation who continued with the struggle. In his autobiography, Phan composes an account his life while under a house arrest by the French dictators. His account was rather developed in Chinese but is translated by Viny & Nicholas who give Phans story a different perspective. This paper therefore seeks to carry out an analysis of this source with the aim of developing an understanding of the different interpretive elements of historical research and experiences.[. Dutton, George. "Threatening Histories." Critical Asian Studies 45, no. 3 (September 2013): 365-392]
Identity of the Document
It is essential to determine that Phans work or literature is an autobiography in which he writes is account to share on his experiences under the French authorities. It is therefore essential to determine that this literature originated from the Chinese excerpt and was latter translated into English with the sole author of this piece ascribed as Phan Boi Chau himself. According to this source, it is significant to also determine that this literature was authored by Chan in 1907 after a period of three years in which he led an anti-colonial movement in Vietnam.[. Ibid. 1]
According to the nature of this document, it is essential to note that the material was developed for the Vietnamese who were ready to stand up to fight for their country. This clearly gives the impression that this document was authored with the sole aim of increasing the awareness and support of the Vietnamese to seek for their independence from the French regime. The author of this material therefore directed this literature to the Vietnamese people irrespective of their age, genders, or ethnicity.[. Freeman, Nick. 2001. "Overturned Chariot: The Autobiography of Phan Boi Chau (Book Review)." SOJOURN: Journal of Social Issues In Southeast Asia 16, no. 2: 348-350]
Examining the Document;
Phan Boi Chau in his literature voices out his concern by calling the people of Vietnam to unite for their efforts with the primary aim of becoming free and independent from the French dictators. In this entire account of the literature, Phan emphasizes the manner in which life would have been better for both the country and its citizens when they achieved their goal of mo...
You Might Also Like Other Topics Related to french revolution:
- Did the Industrial Revolution Lead to a Sexual Revolution?Description: The industrial revolution happened to be one of the most influential aspect of the global development that took place in the 18th and 19th century...7 pages/≈1925 words | 4 Sources | MLA | Literature & Language | Research Paper |
- The Industrial Revolution Brought About a Sexual RevolutionDescription: The industrial revolution happened to be one of the most influential aspect of the global development that took place in the 18th and 19th century...2 pages/≈550 words | 1 Source | MLA | History | Essay |
- The French Revolution and the Contribution of Women to the RevolutionDescription: Then explain, why is this a good, scholarly source? What does it offer to a person who might be doing research on the topic? Why is it reliable?...2 pages/≈550 words | 3 Sources | APA | Literature & Language | Research Paper |