Literacy campaign in China. Literature & Language Research Paper (Research Paper Sample)
1. Draws connections between the articles you summarized and Gee’s “What is Literacy?
2. This article is not an argumentative essay. It’s a presentation of articles where you discuss the similarities and differences between the different findings and fields of the articles.
3. "China's literacy movement" should be mentioned.
4. Language logic must be clear.
5. Some reading datas are in the synthesis_instructions document.
What is literacy?
Gee explains the frame and definition of literacy through the process it is acquired. He uses discourse to describe what literacy is. He defines discourse as a ‘socially accepted association among ways of using language, of thinking and of acting that can be used to identify oneself as a member of a socially meaningful group or social network (Gee, James Paul, what is Literacy? 1989). He goes on to elaborate discourse in attempt to show how it can be used to define literacy. He highlights points that make up a discourse. He also describes the difference between acquisition and learning which he considers very important in attaining literacy (20). He argues that acquisition is a process of acquiring something subconsciously by exposure to models and a process of trial and error without a process of formal teaching. He describes learning as the process that involves conscious knowledge gained through teaching though not necessarily from someone officially designated as a teacher. Though acquisition and learning are different, he argues that they are both necessary in mastery. He however adds that acquisition is good for performance and learning is good for meta-level knowledge. Gee also points out that all humans acquire language free of charge from their primary discourses especially in their ‘society of intimates (20).’ Society of intimates refers to the closest social circles around a person i.e. of it is a child, the parents to the child.
You Might Also Like Other Topics Related to language essays:
- Types of Friends Literature & Language Essay ResearchDescription: There is an internal nudge in people that compels them to live in a society where they can freely interact and share with others. This has been in existence since time immemorial. Notably, the various social relations among people forms friendship of different natures. Friends are undeniable a result...4 pages/≈1100 words | MLA | Literature & Language | Essay |
- Pantyhose and Sand Literature & Language Essay PaperDescription: Pantyhose and Sand, one of Senga Nengudi's works remain to be her most spectacular piece in history. The piece consists of pantyhose, which is partially knotted into sand-filled sacks. The pieces are then stretched and attached to the wall in different arrangements. The artist began her work with a group...5 pages/≈1375 words | MLA | Literature & Language | Essay |
- The Use of Diction in the Poem Literature & Language EssayDescription: Diction refers to the writing and speaking style, which is determined by how the writer or speaker uses words. It is the choice of words, and it is primarily used to separate excellent writing from bad writing (Aristov). It relies on numerous factors such as the words used should be accurate and right...3 pages/≈825 words | MLA | Literature & Language | Essay |