Explore Different Journals: Popular And Trade Journals (Research Paper Sample)
In Week 1, you researched academic journals in your area of specialization (Engineering Management). For this assignment, research popular journals and trade journals in your area of specialization as well.
Then, write a paper, in which you include the following:
1. Provide at least 1 example of a popular journal and trade journal. What is the journal's specialization?
2. Compare and contrast the similarities and differences between academic journals, popular journals, and trade journals in your area of specialization.
3. What is the audience for each type of journal?
4. How does each of the type of journals contribute to inquiry?
5. When is it appropriate to use each of these types of journals?
Length: 4-5 pages
Your paper should demonstrate thoughtful consideration of the ideas and concepts presented in the course and provide new thoughts and insights relating directly to this topic. Your response should reflect scholarly writing and current APA standards. Be sure to adhere to Northcentral University's Academic Integrity Policy.
Explore Different Journals
Popular journal and trade journal
IEEE Spectrum is a popular engineering journal that focuses on diverse subjects in the engineering field reporting on new developments, general interest articles and even news (IEEE Spectrum, 2017). The popular journal is broad based and tackles different subject matters. The Engineering Business Journal is a trade journal that specializes in engineering work and management, including the current news and developments for the engineering firms. The journal is like a newsletter and specializes on recent reports in the business, engineering field and technology, but also includes recent development in health science.
Compare and contrast of academic journals, popular journals, and trade journals
The Journal of Engineering and Technology Management is an academic journal that focuses on engineering science, management, technology and innovation (Elsevier, 2017). Articles in the academic, popular and trade journals are evaluated for accountability, but the academic journals require peer reviewers while in trade journals it is the editorial staff and field experts. For the popular journals it is the editorial staff who reviews the work focusing on the format and style.
While all the journals may present information on the same subject matter, there are differences in how the information is presented. Academic journals delve deeper into research findings and include verifiable references, but for the popular journals and the trade journals the staff writers discuss the work of researchers. As the trade journals present information on the engineering management field, they focus on emerging trends and current news to advance knowledge.
Even as the popular journals in engineering management highlight different subject areas they provided an overview of these areas, discussing the issues aimed at the general public without using technical terms (IEEE Spectrum, 2017). In the case of journal articles, the researchers/ authors must follow the article structure format beginning with the abstract and include references at the end of the article or research paper. On the other hand, the trade journal may highlight the industry trend and review scholarly articles without using technical terms.
The popular journals rarely include a bibliography or references, but the trade journals may include the bibliography, and for the research article there is always biography. This is consistent with the aim of the journals and who they target. The publishers of scholarly works are mostly professional and scholarly organizations, but for the popular journal the commercial motive is taken into account (Elsevier, 2017).
Journals and Audience
Academic journals mainly target the academics, professionals and researchers in engineering management and the related fields. The journal has in-depth analysis rather than general information as is the case with the popular journal (Sch
- In group articleDescription: Undergraduate Research Paper: In group article...2 pages/≈550 words | 2 Sources | APA | Literature & Language | Research Paper |
- Balanced LiteracyDescription: Literature and Language Essay: Balanced Literacy...3 pages/≈825 words | 6 Sources | APA | Literature & Language | Research Paper |
- Persuasive research essayDescription: Literature and Language - Persuasive research essay...4 pages/≈1100 words | 4 Sources | APA | Literature & Language | Research Paper |