Applying the ethical frame work in practice (Research Paper Sample)
please see attachment with instruction and rubric. please follow the rubric. For citation sources school requires article that 5 years old or less. Pleases copy and past the link to wed browser in order. to the bioethics on NBCs ER article . Electronic Resource 1. Bioethics on NBC's ER: Betraying Trust or Providing Good Care? When Is It Okay to Break Confidentiality? Read "Bioethics on NBC's ER: Betraying Trust or Providing Good Care? When Is It Okay to Break Confidentiality?" by Nathanson, located on the American Journal of Bioethics website. http://web(dot)archive(dot)org/web/20110706061843/http://www(dot)bioethics(dot)net/articles.php?viewCat=7&articleId=133
Week 3 | Ethical Decision Making
Assignment Applying Ethical Frameworks in Practice
Due Date: Nov 24, 2013 23:59:59 Max Points: 200
Using "Bioethics on NBC's ER: Betraying Trust or Providing Good Care? When Is It Ok to Break Confidentiality?," write a paper of 750-1,000 words in which you describe your professional position regarding patient confidentiality.
1. Explain the ethical implications of a breach of confidentiality.
2. Provide ethical theories and/or ethical principles (from among those introduced in your readings) to substantiate your position.
3. Identify a reasonable alternative to address the dilemma presented in the article using a framework of ethical decision making presented in lecture or in your readings. Explain the significance of applying this framework.
4. Explain how an ethics committee might approach the dilemma using ethical theories, principles, and a collaborative approach to ethical decision making.
Prepare this assignment according to the APA guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. An abstract is not required.
This assignment uses a grading rubric. Instructors will be using the rubric to grade the assignment; therefore, students should review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the assignment criteria and expectations for successful completion of the assignment.
Top of Form
Please Note: Assignment will not be submitted to the faculty member until the "Submit" button under "Final Submission" is clicked.
Bottom of Form
Top of Form
Applying Ethical Frameworks in Practice
Bottom of Form
Applying the ethical framework in practice
Medical practitioners have a responsibility to ensure that patients are in a position to trust them with personal information regarding their health. They face challenges in maintaining the expected levels of secrecy to ensure utmost privacy of patients’ records and information in accordance to the Hippocratic Oath (Brown, 2010). When the patients disclose personal information to health practitioners, they have an implied guarantee of that such information remains confidential and inaccessible to unconsented or unauthorized individuals. This paper outlines the positive and negative ethical implications of breaching confidentiality and the ethical principles of making ethical decisions. It also provides an alternative to the case nurses’ Hathaway ethical approach and outlines how an ethical committee would make an ethical decision that collaborates the ethical theories and principles and ethical decision making framework.
Breaching confidentiality results into negative implications for health care because patients lose their trust in the medical practitioners. When patients realize that the health system is untrustworthy, they withhold important information while seeking medical care. Withholding information limits health practitioner’s ability to prescribe effective treatment regimen and it subsequently results in negative health outcomes for the patients. Worse case scenarios occur when patients reject seeking necessary medical attention altogether owing to fear of imminent breach of confidentiality in the health system (Nathason, 2000). Breaching confidentiality also exposes patients to undue embarrassment and loss of particular privileges.
Breaching confidentiality sometimes has positive implications in safeguarding the health and welfare of patients with limited capacity to make accurate decisions as well as safeguarding the healt...
- Future of nursing. IOM assignmentDescription: Future of nursing. IOM assignment Health and Medicine Research Paper (Undergraduate level)...2 pages/≈550 words | 4 Sources | APA | Health, Medicine, Nursing | Research Paper |
- My ethic : Personal, Spiritual and Cultural ValuesDescription: My ethic : Personal, Spiritual and Cultural Values Health and Medicine Research Paper...3 pages/≈825 words | 3 Sources | APA | Health, Medicine, Nursing | Research Paper |
- Sex Reassignment SurgeryDescription: Sex reassignment surgery (SRS) or gender reassignment surgery Research Paper (Undergraduate level)...2 pages/≈550 words | 3 Sources | APA | Health, Medicine, Nursing | Research Paper |