COMM 104 Persuasive Appeal: Marijuana Should Be Prohibited (Research Paper Sample)
COMM 104: Written Persuasive Appeal (Final Paper)
For your final course paper, you will write a 2-3 page paper on one of the controversial topics listed below (see “Paper Topics”). The purpose of this paper is for you to choose a stance on a controversial issue and integrate your knowledge about rhetoric and persuasion to defend that stance. To do this effectively, you must conduct research on your topic and apply course concepts by creating a compelling and logical argument based on evidence.
What to include in your paper: Structure your paper in an organized manner so that there is an introduction, body, and conclusion.
▪ In the introduction paragraph of your paper, make sure to clearly state your argument/claim. Your claim should be specific (e.g., if you are arguing for the legalization of marijuana, are you arguing that it should be legalized under all circumstances or just certain circumstances?).
▪ In the body paragraphs of your paper, provide reasons (about 3) to support your argument/claim. Make sure to incorporate compelling evidence and various types of appeals that we have discussed throughout the course to persuade your audience. You should also address and refute potential opposing viewpoints.
▪ In the conclusion paragraph, summarize your claim/argument and the reasons you used in support. In addition, go beyond these points by providing implications about your argument. What should your audience do now?
Format: Your 2-3 page paper should be typed and double-spaced, use 12-point Times New Roman font, have 1” margins, and follow APA 6th edition format for all in-text and reference citations. The final paper must also include a separate cover page (that includes your name, date, section #, and ID#; see example cover page located in the Final Paper folder) and a copy of the rubric. Your document must be stapled.
References: You must use at least 6 sources (that are credible, up-to-date, and relevant) to support your argument/claim. All sources must be cited both in-text and in the References section of your paper using APA 6th edition format.
You must create and support an argument/claim based on your topic.
the thesis is: Marijuana should be prohibited in the United States.
also, I need references page
This essay should use ethos, pathos, and logos.
Marijuana Should Be Prohibited
Marijuana Should Be Prohibited
Contrary to the viewpoints held by proponents’ marijuana legalization, the past prohibitive and balances drug laws had significantly contributed towards the reduction in the consumption rate of marijuana in the U.S. This situation has however been reversed since the first state – California – legalized the drug to be used as a recreational drug. Since then, a good number of states have been debating on the issue of legalizing marijuana and some have actually followed the example of California. Today, marijuana is one of the most misused drug in the country with over 22.2 million people using the drug according to 2015 official figures (National Institute of Drug Abuse, 2017). advocates of marijuana legalization for recreation or medical purposes fails to put into consideration the costs associated with its use as compared with those associated with its prohibition. This paper argues that marijuana should be prohibited and its use made illegal.
There is a general misconception that legalizing marijuana could earn the government additional revenue while reducing misuse of the drug. Just like in the case of gambling, legalizing marijuana will encourage its consumption and create a problematic behavior. In essence, taxed marijuana will set a stage for illegal drug trafficking (Haffajee, 2017; CNBC, 2011). Marijuana legalization would encourage drug traffickers to thrive on dealing in more potent drugs. These sellers would have the motivation to deal in unregulated and untaxed drugs.
Proponents of marijuana at times cite its medicinal benefits such as increasing the user’s level of alertness and reducing anxiety. They however tend to ignore all the mental and physic
You Might Also Like Other Topics Related to legalize marijuana:
- Argument Assignment On Should Marijuana be legalized?Description: There are those who strongly believe that this drug should be abolished and its usage should be discouraged in the strongest way possible....4 pages/≈1100 words | 4 Sources | MLA | Literature & Language | Essay |
- The Measure Of Success Is Happiness And Strong TiesDescription: To a modern America student of my age, this would sound crazy when I state that the measure of success is happiness and strong ties in family and not possessions. ...2 pages/≈550 words | No Sources | MLA | Education | Essay |
- NRS410V Assignment: Mandatory Discussion QuestionDescription: Describe the pathophysiologic progression of the infection into pneumonia and at least two medical/nursing interventions that would be helpful in treating the patient....1 page/≈275 words | 3 Sources | APA | Health, Medicine, Nursing | Essay |