Marathon Petroleum Findlay, Ohio. Business & Marketing Research Paper (Research Paper Sample)
MARATHON PETROLEUM Findlay, Ohio
Marathon Petroleum Corporation makes for one of the leading business organizations in the oil and gas industry in the United States and around the world. The United States’ largest petroleum refining company can refine over 3 million barrels of crude oil per day through its complex refinery system
Note: Make sure to submit your assignment on time. Late assignments are not accepted and will earn zero points. You do not have to wait for the deadline - you can submit whenever you believe your assignment is ready, and you can upload an updated file at any point until the deadline. "Technical difficulties" and "apparently Canvas did not work" are not acceptable reasons for not submitting your assignment on time.
Overview: This project entails reviewing a Fortune 500 company's best practices in sustainability and diversity & inclusion and then writing, in your own words, about those practices. Each student will be assigned a Fortune 500 company to analyze and report on and each student will submit an individual project in Canvas. NOTE: You will see that each student will be assigned to a team. This is for logistical purposes only. This is NOT a team project. On October 16th, Course Manager ) will notify the class via Canvas announcements about team assignments and individually ASSIGNED companies. You must work with your assigned company.
Deliverable: 2-3 pages (no fewer than 2 full pages; no more than 3 pages) report. Use complete sentences, not bullet points.
Paper Criteria: This project is designed to enhance your knowledge of what is meant by sustainability and diversity & inclusion as currently practiced by large corporations. Your mission is to look for your assigned company's sustainability or corporate social responsibility (CSR) and/or diversity & inclusion report that shares the organization's best practices and results concerning Sustainability and Diversity & Inclusion.
Research Source: While searching for information or reports on company websites, you will realize that companies use different terms while talking about sustainability. Here are some terms you might come across (this is not an exhaustive list): sustainability, corporate social responsibility, social responsibility, corporate citizenship, community well-being. (Note: If your assigned company does not incorporate Diversity & Inclusion in its sustainability/CSR report, it may report on Diversity & Inclusion on its website instead. Most companies have a separate Diversity & Inclusion section.)
If your assigned company does not have a downloadable sustainability/CSR report, look for the major sections listed below on the company website. The goal for this report is to describe, in your own words, what your assigned company has in place concerning these two topics. If your assigned company does not provide information about one of the required elements, address this in your paper, rather than leaving the reader to wonder whether you merely overlooked this part of the assignment (e.g., explore and report on what a competitor does and note how your assigned company could improve its
Introduction (2 points): In the introduction, provide a brief overview, in your own words, of what your assigned company does (products, sales volume, number of employees, geographic reach, etc.) and list its current (2019) Fortune 500 rank.
Sustainability (14 points): Take the triple-bottom line as your basis. Research and understand what your company does to contribute to the three pillars of sustainability. In your paper, report on their best practices. Questions to answer are given below. Please realize that this is not an exhaustive list. If there are other sustainability-related questions you find important to answer, do include them in your report.
• Does your assigned company produce a comprehensive sustainability report?
• What steps does your assigned company take to improve its impact on the environment?
• What steps does your assigned company take to improve its impact on the people?
• What are the economic impacts of your assigned company's sustainability initiatives?
• How are these initiatives related to the UN sustainability development goals?
• To what extent does your assigned company operate under the circular economy model?
• What are key metrics that your assigned company focuses on as part of its sustainability initiatives?
• Has your assigned company been recognized by anyone (awards, citations, certifications) for its sustainability efforts? Describe.
• Does your assigned company take any initiatives to be an industry leader?
Diversity/Inclusion (9 points): (recruiting, hiring, and developing talent)
• What does Diversity & Inclusion mean to your assigned company?
• What does your assigned company have to say about its best practices in Diversity & Inclusion?
• How does Diversity & Inclusion impact recruitment, hiring, development & retention for your assigned company?
• Has your assigned company been recognized by anyone (awards, citations, certifications) for its diversity/inclusion efforts? Describe.
Conclusion/Summary (5 points): Finally, discuss what you learned about your assigned company's best practices in the two key areas above. What do you think your company does well? What could it improve on? What are your recommendations for improvement?
Citations (2 points): Following the conclusion/summary, include citations to properly credit your source material. Citations also help the reader to seek additional information about your assigned company's efforts, if desired.
Ii£: Our Schreyer Business Library Rcscarch Consultants (RCs) will be happy to answer any project research or citation questions.
RCs are onsite at the Smeal College of Business in the Atrium of the Business Building (near the interior entrance to Saxby’s) Monday through Thursday from 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
You may also drop in to meet with RCs in their Schreyer Business Library offices (3rd Floor Paterno Library) Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (RC availability is not guaranteed throughout this time, but more often than not, an RC will be available to answer your question within a reasonable wait time).
• A typed, electronic document (single-spaced, 0 pt. between lines); must be .doc/.docx only (all other file types are NOT acceptable)
• Write your paper in your own words. Beyond company's best practices, I am interested in how you perceive them and think about these practices, how you think they contribute to the triple bottom line, what you learnt from this company, etc.
• 2-3 pages (no fewer than 2 full pages; no more than 3 pages)
• Margins on all 4 sides: 1"
• Type: 12-point font; Times New Roman or Calibri
• Include an appropriate title
• Your name
• Your assigned company's name and current (2019) Fortune 500 rank
• Your assigned company's website URL
• Bold headings delineating all five sections noted above (including introduction, conclusion/summary and citations)
• Cite source(s), as relevant
• Grammar, spelling and attention to detail are always important - check your document carefully
• Do not forget to add the academic integrity pledge
• DO NOT copy/paste from company sites. Plagiarism of any kind will earn your project a zero.
Any file type other than .doc/.docx will not be accepted (you will receive an error message from Canvas if you try to upload any other file type in the assignment). If you do not use Microsoft Word and do not know how to save your document as a .doc or .docx file, you may wish to visit one of Penn State's IT Service Desk locations well in advance of the due date in order to learn how to submit an acceptable file.
BA 342 FA 19
Sustainability and Diversity & Inclusion Review Grading Rubric
This project is worth 35 points of your overall course grade. The partial credit for different parts of the report are as follows:
Introduction - 2 points Sustainability - 14 points Diversity & Inclusion - 9 points Conclusion - 5 points Citations - 2 points Following the guidelines - 3 points
We will use the following grading guidelines:Full Credit: 35 Points
- Full credit will be given if ALL requirements for paper content criteria and ALL guidelines for submission are followed.
- This includes addressing all questions asked above; if your assigned company does not provide information about some element, address this in your paper, rather than leaving the
_reader to wonder whether you merely overlooked this part of the assignment._
- Missing any of the paper content and/or format elements listed in these guidelines
- Poorly written (spelling, grammar, word choice, lack of attention to detail, etc.)
- Low or high page count
- Missing the academic integrity pledge_
2ero Credit: 0 Points
- File not successfully submitted via the Canvas assignment by the deadline
- File emailed to Teaching Team instead of submitted via the Canvas assignment
- Unacceptable file type or unreadable file submitted
- Incorrect company (i.e., not your assigned company)
- Submission is irrelevant and unrelated to assignment
- Any amount of plagiarism from any source; DO NOT copy/paste from company sites_
Marathon Petroleum Corporation
Marathon Petroleum Corporation
Marathon Petroleum Corporation makes for one of the leading business organizations in the oil and gas industry in the United States and around the world. The United States’ largest petroleum refining company can refine over 3 million barrels of crude oil per day through its complex refinery system CITATION Mar19 \l 1033 ( Marathon Petroleum Corporation, 2019). Marathon Petroleum Corporation (MPC) enjoys a wide market coverage in the United States and its neighboring trading partners, Mexico and Canada. Its strategic partnerships with other business entities in the industry cement its position as the largest petroleum refining company in the country. The firm operates in a total of 41 states in the U.S., with trading operations in Singapore and Canada CITATION Mar19 \l 1033 ( Marathon Petroleum Corporation, 2019). The organization further operates in the states of Sinaloa, Sonora, and Baja California in Mexico. Marathon Petroleum Corporation carries out its operations in the United States and Mexico through its 12, 000 retail and marketing outlets located across h countries through a renowned MPC’s subsidiary referred to as Speedway LLC CITATION Mar19 \l 1033 ( Marathon Petroleum Corporation, 2019). The firm’s headquarters are in Findlay, Ohio, and account for the employment of over 60 000 employees on a part-time and full-time basis across its diverse fields of operations in the outlined locations CITATION Mar19 \l 1033 ( Marathon Petroleum Corporation, 2019). Marathon Petroleum Corporation’s recent $23 billion acquisition of another refining company, Andeavor, cemented its position as the leading or rather the largest refining company in the United States. The strategic business acquisition functioned to increase the firm’s revenue generation by almost 44% in the year 2018 to a tune of $97 billion CITATION For19 \l 1033 (Fortune 500, 2019). It is through the acquisition that the organization climbed up the ladder in the rankings of Fortune 500 to position 31 CITATION For19 \l 1033 (Fortune 500, 2019). Provided herein is a comprehensive analysis of the firm’s sustainability report to highlight its approach towards sustainable growth and development as well as its efforts to embrace diversity in carrying out its daily business operations.
- Sustainability and Diversity & Inclusion Review Project. FedExDescription: FedEx Corporation is a multinational company specialized in delivery services across the world. Headquarter of this company is in Memphis, Tennessee in America. The name FedEx comes from the word federal express....3 pages/≈825 words | APA | Business & Marketing | Research Paper |
- My Career Aspiration Business & Marketing Research PaperDescription: Please be sure that your Career Aspiration word document uses Times New Roman, 12-point font, single spacing, and 1-inch margins. In approximately 100-200 words, describe your career aspirations. Include several statements about your guiding philosophy and the core personal values that drive your ambitions....1 page/≈275 words | APA | Business & Marketing | Research Paper |
- Positioning Statement. Business & Marketing Research PaperDescription: The success of a company depends on many factors. One of the most crucial aspects is the position statement. It refers to an internal document that indicates the strategy used for making tactical decisions (Chernev, 2018)....3 pages/≈825 words | APA | Business & Marketing | Research Paper |