Geological Setting of Tokyo. Biological & Biomedical Sciences (Research Paper Sample)
The objective of these assignments is for you to explore how geological factors impact society and how we in turn affect the environment around us. You will be selecting a town/city/region from a list, and will be writing a report—split into three separate assignments—on the environmental geology of that location. In the first part, you will describe the geological setting of the city. In the second, you will discuss natural hazards that have impacted the area or that could potentially impact the area in the future. In the third part, you will assess the use (and/or abuse) of resources (water, mineral, energy).
Formatting and submission (common to all parts):
Use Microsoft Word.
Use Calibri (preferred), Arial, or Times New Roman font in size 11 or 12.
Use a line spacing of 1.15 or 1.5.
Use 1-inch margins on all sides.
Make sure to put your name and the town/city/region you are describing
Submission will be through a Turnitin assignment on Canvas. For anyone not familiar, Turnitin automatically analyses the assignment for signs of plagiarism. It is VERY sensitive, and you will NOT be able to get away with even minor plagiarism. Significant plagiarism will result in a 0 for the assignment. For definitions of the various types of plagiarism see https://www(dot)csun(dot)edu/science/help/help_docs/plagiarism.html.
Cite all sources and include a “Works Cited” section. See https://libguides(dot)csun(dot)edu/research-strategies/citing-sources for instructions on how to do the citations (I prefer the APA style).
These are short papers, so make sure to be precise and efficient with your words. Stick to the required material and don’t include extraneous material (it won’t help your grade) or generalities (be specific!).
Part 1 Instructions
Minimum Length: 300 words (~1pg)
The goal for the first part is to briefly introduce the city and describe the geologic setting of the area. Things that should be included:
Where in the world is the city? Any particularly interesting facts/features?
What is the geologic setting? Is the city near a plate boundary? What kind?
Is it flat, mountainous, hilly, etc. Are you near the ocean or major rivers? What kind of rocks are around (don’t need to be too specific, but at least narrow down to sedimentary, igneous, metamorphic and how they formed in a general sense)?
Geological Setting of Tokyo
Geological Setting of Tokyo
Tokyo has been the capital of Japan since 1869. It is the seat of the Japanese government, the Emperor of Japan, as well as the National Diet. It is located in the south-east of Honshu Island and includes Ogasawara islands, Izu islands among several other outlying islands. The Izu islands feature a group of volcanic islands that are part of the Fuji-Hakone-Izu National Park. The mainland part of the city lies northeast of the Tokyo Bay. The city has an elevation of 40 m. It experiences a temperate climate with the winters mild and dry, and summer humid and warm. The rainy season starts from mid-June to mid-July. September and November are usually the typhoon seasons.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
- Personal experiences Essays
- Things fall apart Essays
- Abraham lincoln Essays
- Heart of darkness Essays
- Suicide Essays
- Fast food Essays
- Short story Essays
- French revolution Essays
- High school Essays
- Standardized testing Essays
- Marijuana Essays
- Brave new world Essays
- Respect Essays
- Stem cell Essays
- Values Essays
- Gun violence Essays
You Might Also Like Other Topics Related to scientific essays:
- Nucleophilic substitution reactions. Biological & Biomedical SciencesDescription: It is commonly observed that reactive halides give relevant precipitates in only 180 seconds at room temperature. On the other hand, the least reactive halides do not give relevant precipitates at room temperature and even when they are heated....2 pages/≈550 words | No Sources | APA | Biological & Biomedical Sciences | Lab Report |
- Analytical Essay. Make quotation from the article. Social SciencesDescription: The American politics seem to thrive well in a toxic environment. Over the years, there have been high level conflicts in the American politics. The political Arena is characterized by massive disagreements over government policies that have created huge divisions among the American Citizens....4 pages/≈1100 words | 12 Sources | MLA | Social Sciences | Essay |
- Case Analysis – Explosion. Life Sciences assignmentDescription: The case presented portrays the aftermath of an explosion that burnt a truck to the ground. What is apparent in the photos is that the ashes and residue of the burn were isolated within and around the truck, with other burnt materials (e.g., jacket and other objects) a few feet away from it. ...2 pages/≈550 words | No Sources | APA | Life Sciences | Essay |