Sociology. Are We Ever Not Doing Gender? Reaction Paper (Reaction Paper Sample)
This past week we focused on gender. Gender is a fundamental social division. All around us we see differences between men and women (and girls and boys). The way they dress. The activities they engage in. What they say. What they want out of life. We see gender differences in the college classroom -- who tends to major in what subjects? We see gender differences at the workplace -- who tends to hold positions of power and authority? We see gender differences in the home -- who tends to do the majority of housework? These social arrangements, which create and sustain gender differences, end up having powerful effects on the lifestyles and life chances of individuals.
You will be given two possible essay topics to write about. Choose one of them. The two possibilities are:
ESSAY OPTION 1
Are we ever not doing gender? From the moment we wake up until we go to bed, it seems like we are constantly doing gender. For this essay, I want you to walk me through a small segment of your day (when you wake up, when you walk to class, when you eat lunch, when you shop, when you drive or ride the bus, when you go out on a date, when you attend religious ceremonies, when you watch movies with friends, etc). Do not describe your whole day, but rather, choose some small segment (a strip) of your daily life to describe. During that small segment of your day, in what ways are you doing gender? How are you displaying your gendered identity? Given the situation you find yourself in, how are you conforming -- or not -- to gendered expectations of behavior?
ESSAY OPTION 2
In class on Friday, we watched a TED Talk by Tony Porter, where he focused on what he calls "The Man Box." According to Porter, what is The Man Box? What are its core elements? Why are men afraid of getting outside of The Man Box? When Porter says, "my liberation as a man is tied to your liberation as a woman," what do you think he means by that?
A call to men | Tony Porter
Select one option and quote from the attached file “doing gender” once or twice.
As you write up your response, please reference and integrate lecture material and readings by West and Zimmerman "Doing Gender" and/or Lorber's "Night to His Day"
Your finished essays must be 500-600 words in total.
Submit your finished essays to Canvas before 9am, Friday, March 6th.
Are We Ever Not Doing Gender?
Are We Ever Not Doing Gender?
Everything we do in our daily lives seems to be dictated by gender. People seem to confuse sex and gender. According to West and Zimmerman, sex is ascribed by biology, while we achieve gender through social status (West & Zimmerman, 2013). Society teaches people what is expected of them as males or females right from childhood. Besides, there are certain activities that, if done by a specific gender, would seem awkward to many people. For instance, it would seem unusual for a woman to be a construction worker. Personally, my normal daily activities indeed prove that most of the things I do are driven by gender.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
- Civil rights movement Essays
- Poetry analysis Essays
- Racial discrimination Essays
- Sociological imagination Essays
- Feminist Essays
- Industrial revolution Essays
- Culture Essays
- Drunk driving Essays
- Cell phone Essays
- Art Essays
- Sociology Essays
- Capital punishment Essays
- Imperialism Essays
- Childhood obesity Essays
- Nursing career Essays
- Physician assisted suicide Essays
You Might Also Like Other Topics Related to sociology essays:
- Orientalism, Colonialism and the Representation of Muslim Women. Faculty of Arts Department . . .Description: In the current world, the issues surrounding religion as it relates to gender predominantly concerns the situation of Muslim women and its indication towards the state of civilization....9 pages/≈2475 words | MLA | Religion & Theology | Essay |
- Sociology and Law: Part I Social Sciences Essay PaperDescription: While there are many non-profit organizations with legal and socio-legal objectives in the US, this paper will focus on the Legal Aid Society. According to its website, the organization is the oldest in its non-profit law organization that serves low-income persons and families in the City of New York...1 page/≈275 words | APA | Social Sciences | Essay |
- Sociology in Everyday life. Social Sciences Essay. Description: Over the summer, I worked in a restaurant in the city. Each day I met very different people and I observed their behavior and how they interacted with each other. ...5 pages/≈1375 words | APA | Social Sciences | Essay |